Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'91 Accord LX brake lamp issue

renchhednot
10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi all- I noticed the brake lamp light on the dash was on yesterday so I had a buddy go behind the vehicle and he tells me the left brake light is out. So I pop the trunk and pull the lamp out and its fine. So I put in a new one just in case and the light went out and had both brake lights. So today I take the car out and notice the same brake lamp light is on. My buddy tells me its the same left stop lamp. I again check the bulb and its fine. I checked the fuse box and the fuse is not blown. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? :headshake

Copytech99
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Could be a poor or dirty connection at the socket where the bulbs contacts are made. (sorry. I don't know what style of bulb is used wedge or bayonet) If you try to scrape or clean contacts be careful not to damage.

There may be a connector going into the socket, you could pull that connector in and out a few times to re-seat it.

The bulb is a #2057 bayonet base, Make sure the 2 contacts at the bottom are clean and in place. There are 2 small pins on the side of the bulbs base, clean the pins and also the area of the socket where the pins are when twisted into place (the base is the ground)

renchhednot
10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks copycat will check out the connections closer. And was wondering also whats the diff between a 1157 and 2057 bulb? Both are single element but is the 2057 got a bigger filament? Could you use the 1157 in a pinch?

Copytech99
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
The bulb you are working with should be a dual filament. It contains both brake and tail. 2 contacts on the bottom. The 1157 should work, the 2057 may be brighter. Not sure of the wattage ratings. The 1156 is a single filament bulb.

renchhednot
10-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Copytech- All four lights in the back are single element, the two outside are running lights and the two inside are actually in the trunk lid. So none are dual filament. Doesn't solve the issue and will still check the connections. Thanks for the info.

Add your comment to this topic!