Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Audiobahn setup...

Oatmealzzz
04-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey all,

Can you please give me a suggestion? I'm thinking of purchasing an Audiobahn AWT12X and A18001D amp, along with the 3 Farad capacitor (got a good deal on them). Anyways, how good (bad?) do you think this system will wound in a sealed enclosure with internal volume of 1.6 cu.ft.? (Audiobahn recommends 1.5 minimum).?

I'm browsing through the forum and all I've really been seeing is talk of JL, Kickers, and other brands, but Audiobahn seems lost somewhere. Also, is it true that the AWT12X can really handle 2000 watts RMS? That seems like quite a crack-load.

Would I need another alternator or will I be fine with the capacitor and a red top battery. Last but not least, I listen to mostly "techno" so I'm looking forward to thumping bass rather than the head shaking rumbles, will I be able to accomplish that with the given setup? Should I wire it to 1 ohm or 4 ohms? Thanks in advance.

PaulD
04-07-2003, 06:30 PM
audiobahn was REAL popular for a while, but I think there are other brands that have kind of supplanted them. Yea, many of the new speakers CAN handle 2000+ watts. The only way to know how your electrical system will react to this system is try it out.

Oatmealzzz
04-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I see... but it's already kind of a done deal so only thing I can do is HOPE they're good. Also, according to the Audiobahn box parameters, they say a sealed box is not recommended... does that mean I should DEFINATELY not build a sealed box for it? I've already gone ahead and built a sealed box that has an internal volume of 1.6 cuft. Which is a lot compared to the recommended .5 minimum and 1.0 maximum.

I CAN however, put a 3x8.5 port and just make it a ported box. So what should I do? I really prefer thumping bass in a sealed box than a boomy rattling bass from a ported. I also have the option of building a whole new box making it A LOT smaller than the previous one (1 cuft.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks~!

GSteg
04-08-2003, 06:10 PM
tune the port to 25hz and it should sound similar to a sealed box. i don't like manufacturor's recommended box size since they are aimed at the "average joe"...just enough to satisfy them. also they want that "small box company" image.

lloyd_nickens
04-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Oatmealzzz
I see... but it's already kind of a done deal so only thing I can do is HOPE they're good. Also, according to the Audiobahn box parameters, they say a sealed box is not recommended... does that mean I should DEFINATELY not build a sealed box for it? I've already gone ahead and built a sealed box that has an internal volume of 1.6 cuft. Which is a lot compared to the recommended .5 minimum and 1.0 maximum.

I CAN however, put a 3x8.5 port and just make it a ported box. So what should I do? I really prefer thumping bass in a sealed box than a boomy rattling bass from a ported. I also have the option of building a whole new box making it A LOT smaller than the previous one (1 cuft.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks~!

Increase the size of the box if you are gonna port it. The port also takes up airspace. Also it is completly possible to build a ported box that plays as 'musically' as a sealed box... The biggest downside to sealed boxes is you have a harder time telling if you are overextending the sub, which makes it a lil easier (IMHO) to blow. With a ported box you can smell the vc glue burning and will always have the tendency to turn it down...

schwillyd530
04-23-2004, 10:34 AM
I bought a AWT12X and had a Rockford Fosgate 1100a2 amp putting out 1100W @ 4 ohm with a 1 Farad Cap in my Jeep. I made the box out of 3/4" MDF exactly to the specs on their web page (which they change every year so check what year it was manufactured in located on the side of the box it came in) with a 2.5 cu ft. volume and 2 ports 15.5" Long(4" Diameter) i thought it sounded awsome but ended up selling it cause i needed the money. In hind sight i think i would have shortened the tube a little since the sub had great low response but lacked a little in the higher base.

ALSO FYI it says specifically that they DO NOT recommend putting the AWT12X in a sealed box right on the spec page but that if you did a volume of up to .75 cu ft. was recommended.

burly
04-23-2004, 11:43 AM
1000+ watts into an AW12X for techno - not head shaking - bass ? Unless you turn the gain waaayyy down you are going to have enough bass for you and the 3 cars around you. It won't sound Bad by any means - but it will be plenty loud enough to shake your head.

Add your comment to this topic!