Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Crown Vic... where is the Ignition Control Module located?

hellah fresh
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Im looking for the location for the Ignition Control Module for my 97 Crown Vic and i cant seem to find it. Can someone tell me where it is located? Its a 4.6L.

hellah fresh
10-08-2009, 12:01 PM
NVM yes the car doesnt have one. jsut found out. BUT the problem i am having is...

THe car runs and drives fine with no problem. Whenever i drive for long periods of time i shut off the car.. when i go to start it the CHECK ENGINE light is on and the car runs for about a minute and dies. Then i try to start it but it keeps cranking. So i have to wait about 5-10mins then the car starts fine. So does this sound like a bad crank sensor?

Blue)(Fusion
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Is the CEL on while the car is running? I'd check the IAC valve first thing. These tend to stick sometimes and cause the engine to die in idle. It's easy to get off and clean or replace. It's on the back of the intake plenum held on by two bolts (8mm, IIRC).

Also, a quick test to see if that's it or not is to open the throttle slightly. This will allow air to flow in if the IAC is stuck in the closed position.

way2old
10-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Since the check engine light is coming on, have the code read and post back the EXACT code number. This will give us a starting point. Blue has a good way to see if the IAC is the problem. Try that and then have the codes read. You should have an EDIS control module located around the hood hinge on the drivers side, There should be a sticker on it that has EDIS on it. Click here for a little information on the EDIS system (http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/edis.html).

Gifts4cheap.net
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi i got a question when is the last time your fuel filter was changed. I am a mechanic for 15 years and for some reason i have been running into alot of this problem lately and about 10 cars in the last month and it turns out to be the fuel filter clogging up.Just a thought.But sounds like a fuel issue not building up enough pressure.You need min. 30 psi for it to start. Your specs are 30-45 key on engine off.Hope it helps!!!

Blue)(Fusion
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi i got a question when is the last time your fuel filter was changed. I am a mechanic for 15 years and for some reason i have been running into alot of this problem lately and about 10 cars in the last month and it turns out to be the fuel filter clogging up.Just a thought.But sounds like a fuel issue not building up enough pressure.You need min. 30 psi for it to start. Your specs are 30-45 key on engine off.Hope it helps!!!

Also a good idea to replace the filter if it has not been done so int he last 20,000 miles or so. But I don't believe this is the problem considering he says he has to let it sit for a while for it to restart. If that's the case then pressure would actually bleed off over time and not build up again until he turns ignition key on. Not saying it's not possible, but I don't think that would be the cause of the issue he's describing.

Add your comment to this topic!