Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

.8 amp drain on battery w/ all power turned off

Sunfirepontiac2000
10-07-2009, 11:01 PM
2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2

My GF purchased this car about a month ago.

Three weeks after buying it, she drives to a friends house and parks it for three days. She goes to leave, and the car won't catch as she tries to crank it. It turns over, but doesn't catch. A week after that, her dad goes to look @ the car, and the starter makes that horrid sound we all fear and dread.

So, the starter is replaced and it starts up, work fine...for another week.

I finally get to play w/ it today. I switched the battery out of my car(2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, but I have wrong battery for me car...75 seires instead of 78.), clean all the connections, put in new spark plugs, plug wires and an air fitler(needed tune up any way.)

I turn the key an "EEEEEEEEHHHHH!", nothing but bad noise. So I jump it w/ MY battery in her car and her battery in mine...it starts. I get it to my work(Parts store), and run some test on it... a .8 amp drain....

Can any one tell me where to start looking for this drain?:uhoh:

Airjer_
10-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Trunk lights, glove box lights, interior lights, aftermarket radios. The easiest way to figure then out is with a multi meter capable of reading amperage. with the meter in series with the positive battery terminal and the battery start pulling fuses until the draw goes away. You need to make sure the door switch is is in the closed position so you don't get a false reading.

Sunfirepontiac2000
10-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanx....now I just need a multi meter...lol

Add your comment to this topic!