Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replacing ignition switch 2003 malibu

sleber
10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
About 6 weeks ago the fuel pump and fuel filter was changed on 03 malibu due to no start (fuel related) issue. About a week ago the car started cutting off while driving at highway speeds. After cutting off it starts right back up. Problem is intermittent but is becoming more frequent. I am leaning toward ignition switch (not key cylinder) since no codes are being set in the computer.

Does that sound like an ignition switch issue? If so are there any guides on replacing the switch? Is it a do-it-yourself project or does it need to be done by the dealer?

ca67gmpont
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Just one question. Does your car come equipped with an anti-theft system ?

sickcars
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Ive replaced hundreds of them for no start because of the anti-theft light is on when the problem accurs and when that light is on the fuel system is shut down. If your Anti-theft light is coming on when your having the problem then yes its the switch. Its not difficult to do and I'm sure you can do it with minimal mechanical ability but I would reccomend getting installation instructions from the dealer. I've given them out to customers before and I think other dealers would do the same.

Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!