Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tune up for 04 Tahoe

drick37
10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Just bought an 04 Tahoe, got the 0430 code, it runs fine. Got the code after I dumped some fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Should I tune it up and change the O2 sensors or just replace the plugs and see if the code goes away. I haven't worked on a car since I got hurt on the job several years ago, how do I get the metal spark plug boots off of the wires, do I need a spark boot puller tool?

wafrederick
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
How many miles on it?Most spark plugs get changed at 100,000 miles and replace them under 100,000 miles so you can get them out easier.Stick with the AC Delco plugs only and put a fuel filter on the list too.The fuel filter is the most neglected filter to get changed since it is under the vehicle.Plus a plugged up fuel filter puts a huge strain on the fuel pump and kills it.You do need the special puller to get the plug wires off.I use my long Mac needlenose pliers most of the time.

drick37
10-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks, I'll put that on my list. I will get the plug boot pullers tomorrow. I have the AC Delco Iridium plugs, so hopefully this will take care of my check engine light. Oh yeah, I have 87K on it.

j cAT
10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I'll put that on my list. I will get the plug boot pullers tomorrow. I have the AC Delco Iridium plugs, so hopefully this will take care of my check engine light. Oh yeah, I have 87K on it.

use of dielectric silcone grease on the plug wire boot ends prevents water damage to the center plug wire conductor...as well as ease of removal of the plug wires...changing these plugs is recommended at 50,ooomi....but many do not do this until its too late,,,at 100,ooomi...as GM states there good for..don't redo the plug gap as this damages the delicate plug tip...be careful very easy to damage...

if the plug is very hard to remove run engine and try when hot..

Add your comment to this topic!