Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EK Civic? Cxi?

pre|ude
04-07-2003, 03:33 AM
hey, im really getting sick of this pulsar but im not selling it since my parents bought it for my b'day.

im gonna get another car soon, and im thinking of the Ek civic cxi.

What do you guys think? I want the vti but i doubt i will have enough money for it.

how much do you guys reckon they go for?

Oz
04-07-2003, 04:08 AM
You can pick up a nice early one for 11-12k, but a much better value bet is with a 5th gen Si model. Better engine, better brakes, handling etc.

Or save up and get a VTi-R civic - which start at about 16k.

Oz

Please don't get CXi - pathetic std. equipment, more ricey than your current car, rear drum brakes, pimped to death already etc.

pre|ude
04-08-2003, 03:37 AM
oh, ahehe.. do you have any specs on the vti, si and cxi civics?
i just want to see the difference.

:)

just asking...

Oz
04-08-2003, 08:39 AM
5th Gen (desireables, anyway)

avoid breeze models like the plague
Si and VTi are the same thing except Si has the last development of the ZC engine and the VTi has the first generation SOHC VTEC engine - they make identical power at 96kW and I think the VTi had 1nM more torque. They both come with all the fruit: power everything, tacho, disc brakes etc. Average prices $9,000-$12,000, up to $14,000 for a good one. Made model years 92-95.

6th Gen

CXi = base model. Already commented on.
GLi = better equipped, all wheel discs, CD, tacho etc. Skip if you can get VTi-R
VTi-R = first potent model with B16A in Australia (STFU Pete :p). BUY THIS CAR IF YOU CAN STRETCH TO $16,000-$17,000!!!

Anything else you want to know?

My preference would be pick up an Si with high kilometres and drop an EG spec SiR B16A into it for bolt in 160hp.

:)
Oz

Spunkymonkey
04-09-2003, 05:54 PM
although you'll have to consider adding a possible 2K factor for insuring a EG :p

they are expensive to insure because they are more commonly stolen.

It'd be harder finding an EG SIR b16a though, easier to find an xsi teg b16a.

Setanta
04-10-2003, 12:07 AM
The second generation of B16A that came in the EG6 was 170ps Oz, not 160ps :p OBD1 ECU not OBD0 for enigine management and it's even peakier than the first generation of B16A.

CXi's are for grannies or ricers... or VTiR wannabes :devil:

If I was going for one it'd be the VTiR only - or getting an ED(EF), dropping in a SOHC D-series VTEC and turboing it - the D16 drops straight in. Much lighter than the Aussie spec EGs and EKs. Sigh... much lighter than my EF9 too :(

pre|ude
04-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Hey, so much infomation Oz! ahehe

"avoid breeze models like the plague
Si and VTi are the same thing except Si has the last development of the ZC engine and the VTi has the first generation SOHC VTEC engine - they make identical power at 96kW and I think the VTi had 1nM more torque. They both come with all the fruit: power everything, tacho, disc brakes etc. Average prices $9,000-$12,000, up to $14,000 for a good one. Made model years 92-95."

Only 96kw? ahehe... i thought it did more. :D
So it doesnt matter if i buy a Si or VTi?

Say i buy a breeze and put in a B16A? would that be cheaper?

I didnt know insurance was so high for a civic.

Thanks for all the Info people! :D

Spunkymonkey
04-11-2003, 02:27 AM
i would go the si over the vti. I've driven a couple with single cam vtec, and it totally sux....

meanwhile I've driven my uncle's auto Si EG civic which is the twin cam non vtec motor, and I prefer that.

Ofcourse they both don't compare to later model B series engines :p

pre|ude
04-29-2003, 04:49 AM
hey! i was thinking today, say if i wa to buy a vtir civic, say 17 grand, wouldnt i be better off with a soarer or 180sx? better performance too.

newaiz, i was thinking of getting a teg now. lol. sorry, i know i change my mind alot but a civic seems too typical.

i really like quyens teg, i like that front bar! ahehehe
=)

i LOVVVVVEEEE TeGsSs!

Spunkymonkey
04-29-2003, 06:30 AM
dude I suggest thinking of some cars you like and getting insurance quotes.

If you can afford the car, doesn't necessarily mean you can afford the insurance :p

but yes...for that much you could get something like that, the insurance might give you a heart attack though :p

oh, so you want to join the "I want a teg" club now :p

hahaha....perhaps test drive a few cars...that's the best way to figure it out!

Oz
04-29-2003, 07:33 AM
:ylsuper

180SX has the best performance out of the lot. Handling being more subjective, but it is pretty much a winner there too when set up right. The couple I have driven are B-E-A-S-T-S. Shitty standard seats though.

pre|ude
04-30-2003, 06:07 AM
i just love tegs at the moment, thats all i can say! hehehe :D

just love the looks of it!
*droolz*
:p

hehehehe

is insurance high for a teg? im still in my teens.

i dont know much about insurance, what's third party?

okie, i made up my mind, i want a TeEeG! lol

if i change my mind again, someone slap me across the head! hahaha

Oz
04-30-2003, 06:23 AM
:rolleyes:

Do your homework better...

CTP = Green Slip = basic insurance neccesary to drive on public roads. Covers others from ill effects of your wayward vehicle. It goes up from there - CTP + Fire, Comprhensive etc.

Spunkymonkey
04-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by pre|ude

if i change my mind again, someone slap me across the head! hahaha

I think some of us feel like we don't need a reason for that :D

Spunkymonkey
04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Oz

Do your homework better...

CTP = Green Slip = basic insurance neccesary to drive on public roads. Covers others from ill effects of your wayward vehicle. It goes up from there - CTP + Fire, Comprhensive etc.

Oz...you should also get your facts right when you are going to rolleyes :p

CTP - greenslip insurance is needed when getting rego. It covers other people if they get injured in an accident that is your fault.

In terms of vehicle insurance, in NSW you only have the option of Third Party, or Comprehensive insurance.

3rd party cover, covers any damage to another vehicle you may cause, and also covers you for a certain amount from damage sustained to your vehicle from an uninsured driver up to a certain amount eg. $3000.

Comprehensive cover - covers damage, ie your fault/car is stolen, etc. ie comprehensive....

to give you a rough idea on teg insurance....the major insurers like nrma...gio will probably quote you around the 4000 mark for insurance for a teg. You may get it slightly cheaper with Just Cars, or other smaller insurance companies.

I am with Vigil Underwriting....however you will not be able to insure a stock integra with them. Mine is covered under the modified car category, and my mods are on the policy. They are decently priced...my policy even went down a decent amount this year. I'm pretty lucky, but

I have a colleague who is also keen on buying a teg..and cheapest he found so far was about the $3400 range...and he's 20.

Add your comment to this topic!