Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

half shaft removal

fastwater
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
having a problem, can't remove the half shaft on a 94 rodeo. does anyone have a suggestion?

Cat Fuzz
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
It's not so straight forward on our trucks. The easier way to do it would be to remove the larger CV boot clamp from the inner joint, pull it back and find the large wire clip inside the cup. It will be hidden by grease. After you remove the clip, you'll be able to remove the half-shaft and leave the inner cup in the truck. To get the entire thing out, it's quite a bit of work.

discnik
10-06-2009, 12:51 AM
fastwater, Cat Fuzz is right. It is a lengthy process. If you would like to do it the old fashioned way I am sure one of us can provide you with the procedure.

Let us know.

fastwater
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
thanks for the help guys, but the owner of the vehicle decided to scrap it rather than face the labor charges, as it stands I didn't charge her since it was not completed. It's in pretty bad shape overall anyway. Again, thanks for the replies, appriciated.
Fast

PittJitsu
10-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok Guys, I'll bite. I'm a professional Tech for BMW/Porsche and I had gotten a clients old trooper for free. I removed the whole steering assembly and just rebuilt the half shaft on the truck as advised, but it stumped the whole shop. How is the shaft held in? We tried a puller, no joy. We noticed no spring clips on the replacement, which usually indicates the need to open the differential, yet the diff has no access cover:jerking:! The only access is on the drive shaft side??
So we are either missing a simple trick, or a whole lot of heavy rusty stuff needs to come down in order to remove that litle half shaft..

Now someone tell me!:confused:

Thanks

Cat Fuzz
10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
I haven't done it myself, I've only serviced the outer CV joints on my truck. To get the entire half-shaft out, I believe the front differential needs to be taken loose from the truck and the side plates unbolted. It's quite a process. It's a good thing that it's the outer CV joint that is most prone to wear.

Add your comment to this topic!