Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Accessory power plug issue

Robmac
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I plugged a small (75 watt) power inverter into one of the front power plugs so I can connect my phone charger (10 watts) to charge my cell phone.

The power plug itself seems to be always on (when the key is off, on and in the accessory positions), but the power converter will not stay on with the van running.

When I hit the reset button on the power converter while the van is running the reset light comes on then goes off, so it's getting power. Now when I shut the van the converter stays on and charges my phone. This happen with both front power plugs as well as the rear one.

I tested the converter in my MAZDA 3 and it's working fine. Charges when my car is running, turns off with the key, since the power plug is not powered with the key in the off position.

Anyone have any idea as to why the converter won't work when the van is running but works fine when the van is off?

(I did a search but could not find any posts on this topic).

thanks,
Robert

MagicRat
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Test the voltage of the van electrical system with a digital volt meter.

Pretty much all vehicles will show approx. 12 volts when the engine is off...... but voltage when the vehicle is running often does vary quite a lot.
The acceptable system voltage when the engine is running is 13.7 to 14.5 volts.

This is just a guess but perhaps the van system voltage is too high for the inverter to function properly. Perhaps it is protecting itself from an 'over-voltage' condition.

BTW if the van voltage is over 14.5 volts, the voltage regulator (found inside the alternator) is most likely bad.

Robmac
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I'll have it checked, thanks for the info.

When we first bought the van (used) three years ago it came with a brand new alternator. After a few days of ownership the charging light starting coming on, we had it checked and it turned out that the regulator was bad (charging too high).

Test the voltage of the van electrical system with a digital volt meter.

Pretty much all vehicles will show approx. 12 volts when the engine is off...... but voltage when the vehicle is running often does vary quite a lot.
The acceptable system voltage when the engine is running is 13.7 to 14.5 volts.

This is just a guess but perhaps the van system voltage is too high for the inverter to function properly. Perhaps it is protecting itself from an 'over-voltage' condition.

BTW if the van voltage is over 14.5 volts, the voltage regulator (found inside the alternator) is most likely bad.

Add your comment to this topic!