Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 blazer starts but shuts off immediately...

Dr. Strychnine
10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok so before I loose my mind and empty my wallet at a shop I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction...

I have a 92 s10 blazer 4.3 v6 4x4 (non Vortec) The engine starts but shuts off within 3-5 seconds. The fuel pump was replaced approx. 3000 miles ago and I replaced the tps and the pcv and hose today. Please help... I'm just a girl so please make it simple and don't use big words:p.

Wags391
10-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Ok so before I loose my mind and empty my wallet at a shop I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction...

I have a 92 s10 blazer 4.3 v6 4x4 (non Vortec) The engine starts but shuts off within 3-5 seconds. The fuel pump was replaced approx. 3000 miles ago and I replaced the tps and the pcv and hose today. Please help... I'm just a girl so please make it simple and don't use big words:p.

How about the fuel filter?

Dr. Strychnine
10-05-2009, 01:15 AM
the fuel filter was changed when the pump was changed... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it again.

MT-2500
10-05-2009, 07:46 AM
the fuel filter was changed when the pump was changed... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it again.

Yes good idea to check or replace it.
Also check the fuel pump for running on engine crank and running when the engine starts.
DOES IT HAVE GOOD HOT BLUE SPARK TO ALL PLUGS?
GOOD FUEL PRESSURE?

Any security lights on or remote start or anti theft stuff?

Dr. Strychnine
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes good idea to check or replace it.
Also check the fuel pump for running on engine crank and running when the engine starts.
DOES IT HAVE GOOD HOT BLUE SPARK TO ALL PLUGS?
GOOD FUEL PRESSURE?

Any security lights on or remote start or anti theft stuff?

I can hear the pump prime...so I'm assuming it's working.
No extras... I had an amp and box but put those in my new car.
Another thing... it's been sitting since june... It's only been run a couple of times and before this all started it sat for 2 weeks before I tried to start it. When I started it it didn't, the battery was dead... I charged the overnight with a craftsman timer battery charger. When I tried it the next morning it started but this whole shutting off thing happened. Could this be battery or alternator related? I just hate to change all this stuff out if it's not the problem. Thanks alot, I really appreciate your help!!

Wags391
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I can hear the pump prime...so I'm assuming it's working.
No extras... I had an amp and box but put those in my new car.
Another thing... it's been sitting since june... It's only been run a couple of times and before this all started it sat for 2 weeks before I tried to start it. When I started it it didn't, the battery was dead... I charged the overnight with a craftsman timer battery charger. When I tried it the next morning it started but this whole shutting off thing happened. Could this be battery or alternator related? I just hate to change all this stuff out if it's not the problem. Thanks alot, I really appreciate your help!!

Bad gas possibly.

MT-2500
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Bad gas possibly.

As said bad gas or no gas.

I always add 3-5 gallon gas to be sure not out.

Check fuses for blown fuse.
Check for good hot blue spark to all plugs.
Rent or borrow a fuel pressure test gauge and check for good fuel pressure.

To check for a fuel delivery problem.
Squirt some carb cleaner into intake while cranking.
Ir it runs on carb cleaner you have a fuel problem.

MT-2500
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Is it a W or Z code engine?
The 8th diget in vin no?

Dr. Strychnine
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Is it a W or Z code engine?
The 8th diget in vin no?

It's a Z...
Put in 5 gals fresh gas and a bit of Marvel added to the 1/4 tank that was already there. Fuses are all good. Changed the fuel filter today and still same result. Looks like good spark from the plugs and the wires are about a year old.

I have no clue how to test fuel pressure:frown: I read it in my haynes manual but frankly i just don't think I can do it. Is there a possibility that this could be a vacuum issue?

MT-2500
10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
It's a Z...
Put in 5 gals fresh gas and a bit of Marvel added to the 1/4 tank that was already there. Fuses are all good. Changed the fuel filter today and still same result. Looks like good spark from the plugs and the wires are about a year old.

I have no clue how to test fuel pressure:frown: I read it in my haynes manual but frankly i just don't think I can do it. Is there a possibility that this could be a vacuum issue?

No on vacuum unless the cat is plugged solid.

The Z engine is turbo engine.
You need around 40 lbs fuel pressure to run it.
Make sure you check fuses.
See if you can find someone to help you check fuel pressure.
Also check for codes.

Also see if it will run on carb cleaner spray.

Does you ign key have a pellet in it?

Dr. Strychnine
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
No on vacuum unless the cat is plugged solid.

The Z engine is turbo engine.
You need around 40 lbs fuel pressure to run it.
Make sure you check fuses.
See if you can find someone to help you check fuel pressure.
Also check for codes.

Also see if it will run on carb cleaner spray.

Does you ign key have a pellet in it?

No Pellet in the key, i pulled every fuse and they are good, and it runs on starter fluid... I had it running for a half hour in D N R but when you shut it off you need to use starter fluid to start it and again runs indefinitely. Also, new discovery, when I hit the gas the check engine light comes on then shuts of when the oil pressure goes back down below 40... does it everytime. I unfortunately have no one to help me my dad used to do all of this and make me help him so I wasn't a total retard but he's gone since last Nov and I'm kinda stuck. But I'd really like to figure this out on my own with your help (that I really appreciate btw) rather than play the damsel in distress at a shop.

MT-2500
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
No Pellet in the key, i pulled every fuse and they are good, and it runs on starter fluid... I had it running for a half hour in D N R but when you shut it off you need to use starter fluid to start it and again runs indefinitely. Also, new discovery, when I hit the gas the check engine light comes on then shuts of when the oil pressure goes back down below 40... does it everytime. I unfortunately have no one to help me my dad used to do all of this and make me help him so I wasn't a total retard but he's gone since last Nov and I'm kinda stuck. But I'd really like to figure this out on my own with your help (that I really appreciate btw) rather than play the damsel in distress at a shop.

Go easy on starter fluid.
Only use carb cleaner as a start aid.
If starts on carb cleaner and then runs untill younshut it off.
That sounds like low fuel pressure.

Find a fuel pressure gauge and look for the scrader valve fitting on top rear driver side of engine.
Should be on the in fuel line to injector.
It will look like a old style AC r-12 freon fitting.
May have a black plastic cap on it.
When you find the fitting screw/couple the pressure gauge hose on it.
Turn on key and watch gauge it should go to 40+ lbs and hold with no fast leak down.
Then crank engine and watch fuel pressure gauge should show 40-42 lbs cranking.
After carb cleaner spray start and run recheck fuel pressure.

Post back all pressure readings

Dr. Strychnine
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm going to get on the fuel pressure tomorrow... I'll post the readings when I get them. Thanks for all your help!

MT-2500
10-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm going to get on the fuel pressure tomorrow... I'll post the readings when I get them. Thanks for all your help!

You are welcome.
Glad to help.
Proper Fuel pressure is a have to have on the chev. V6-V8.
Even a few lbs low will give a no start cold.
Remember You can not leave home without it.

Add your comment to this topic!