Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission removal 03 venture

conceptime
10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I am soon to remove/install a rebuilt transmission on my 03 venture AWD. any tips or special considerations? I have the shop manual. How many hours is typical?

gearhead514.2008
10-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I have replaced the motor and transmission on my van, so I have some experience in this department. If you have a car lift, it will be much easier. I did not have one at the time. The motor and transmission are bolted to a subframe which is bolted to the bottom of the van. So that means you have to remove the engine and trans from the bottom. I put the subframe on blocks and then used a boom truck to lift my van up because I did not have access to a lift. Finding a method is the first task. The wiring is easy to unhook. There is a junction block that you have to take apart and then that is done. Unhook the exhaust, radiator hoses, ball joints, tie rods, in your case the rear driveshaft, and other stuff. The hardest part is taking the bolt out of the steering shaft. Make sure you make alignment marks on it before you take it apart. Don't turn the steering wheel once you have it apart. Once the subframe is out, it is easy to replace the transmission as long as you have something to lift the motor up a little bit. Good luck. If you need any more answers, just let me know and I will try to help. Mine still runs 60,000 miles later, so I must have done something right. Have fun.

Add your comment to this topic!