Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine swap

Salaciouse1
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
i recently aquired a 1984 2M4, I have always loved the Fiero and am excited about the project. I would like to swap out the old 2.5 with the 4speed manual for the 2.8 with a Getrag 5speed. What other parts will need to be changed? Is there a specific year I should try to get. I have an abundance of ideas for other mods and am eager to post photos of my progress. I realize that a 2.8 is not nearly as ambitiouse as some of the incredible things others have done, but I would like to stick to the 2.8 andI would really appreciate any info and tips you could provide.

MrPbody
10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
For the most part, the best way to approach this would be to get a "donor car" that already HAS all the stuff you're after. Any '85-'87 V-6 car should suffice. Virtually everything will need to be changed, from the engine "cradle" to the EMC and ALL the engine harness wiring.

Also, get the vent "covers" from an '85-'88 for the rear, as the solid ones found on the '84 won't allow the engine compartment heat to escape properly.

Jim

Salaciouse1
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
thanx man, your the only one to respond to my question. Much appreciated

MagicRat
10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I looked at this same project a few years ago, when I owned an '84 2M4.

I realized pretty quickly that is was cheaper to simply buy a decent running V6 car and sell my 4 cyl car.

the parts swapping is so extensive that it isn't worth the time or effort unless you really want to do the swap for your own enjoyment.

I did sell my 2M4..... it eventually ended up as a prop in a Canadian-made movie where the pyrotechnics people blew it sky-high :(

I never did find that perfect 'V6 Fiero because a Supra landed in my garage first.

Old Lar
10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
The 84 model Fiero is the hardest for a V6 swap as the 84 had no V6 in its plan. Ergo you need to do a lot of rewiring for the V6 into a the 84 model. You need to update the trunk lid for the V6. You should upgrade the suspension for the heavier engine etc.

You can check out Capital City Fiero, a Michigan Fiero group, for ideas and assistance. http://capitolcityfieros.homestead.com/

MrPbody
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Lar,

Actually, the 2.5 "dressed" weighs about 50 lbs. more than the 2.8 "dressed".

But agreed, just getting a 6-cylinder car would be MUCH easier.

Jim

billyraypingle
10-20-2009, 04:29 PM
hey so i just logged onto this and long story short im 19 goin to school and pretty much broke and tryin to get acuall details for putting a 3.1 in an 2.8 87 fiero gt can i use my 2.8 computer and wiring and everything or do i need to take motor, computer and wiring outa of the 3.1 car (cavalier, corsica, ect?) and whats the best car to do this with?

any replies would be pretty rad and much appriciated:runaround:

Old Lar
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd grab everything I could from the donor car. I had a remanufactured 3.1 in one of my Fieros and it came from a Pontiac Transport and that one could run from the Fiero computer. I'm unsure about the Cavalier 3.1.

BTW it was a crappy 3.1 engine that never ran well, and I put in a crate 3.4 and that still runs like a dream after nine years and 60K miles.

MrPbody
10-21-2009, 08:03 AM
The block from the FWD 3.1 is a match. The alimunum heads will NOT fit in the Fiero (without some creative cutting and pasting, anyway). The iron heads ffrom the 2.8 will fit the 3.1 block. The intake etc. will also fit.

Melling offers a mild performance cam for this engine, MTC-5, that will perk it up quite a bit. It's not so much it will hose up the computer. Adding 1.6:1 rockers helps, too.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!