Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 trans am gta! Problem!

hinton08
10-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I have a 1987 Trans Am GTA 350 TPI. Recently, its been acting like it has a bad miss, but plugs, wires, cap, and rotor all are good and I have good spark. It also acts like it wants to die when you come to a stop light or something? Could it be an injector problem or what? Any suggestions would help tremendously!

91 bird
10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
i would check the fallowing. IAC (idle air control) valve, fuel filter, and make sure all injectors are getting power. 1 injector not getting good power could cause some of those problems.

hinton08
10-03-2009, 10:56 AM
How do you check the IAC? I know you can put a noid light on the injectors to see if its getting good pulse, and you can clean out the injectors with a pressurized injector cleaner. Low fuel pressure would be a key signal of a possible fuel filter problem right? I just need to know how to check the IAC. I have a scan tool but what should the readings be for the IAC? Thanks

91 bird
10-04-2009, 08:21 PM
the IAC rarely goes out. remove it and make sure there is no build up of carbon on the pintle or in the seat. that would normaly cause the stall at stops and lights.

Add your comment to this topic!