Clicking noise near shifter

overdoseland
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Howz everyone doin? Good I hope.

Recently I noticed a clicking noise where the shifter is when I press the brakes on my girlfriend's 2001 Accord 4dr LX 2.3L automatic. It sounds like its the shift lock solenoid making the noise. I did some research online and some people say its normal. I don't think its suppose to make any noise because I've never heard a noise until recently. I don't have any problems shifting gears. I only hear the click when I turn the car on and press the brake to disengage the shift lock while the shifter is in Park. Could this mean that the solenoid is on it's way out? If so, does anyone know how to replace it? Step by step info would be nice. Could it also be a fuse issue? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mpumas
10-03-2009, 12:22 AM
The clicking sound is the shifter solenoid which engages when you press the brake and the car is in park. If it didn't engage, you wouldn't be able to shift out of park.

overdoseland
10-03-2009, 03:01 AM
The clicking sound is the shifter solenoid which engages when you press the brake and the car is in park. If it didn't engage, you wouldn't be able to shift out of park.

Yes I know that but I never use to hear the click and I can also feel it on the shifter too. I read on another thread that the, louder than usual,click could mean the solenoid is about to give out. Whats your take on it? I know for a fact that the click was not there before.

mpumas
10-03-2009, 01:19 PM
There may be a rubber bumper associated with the solenoied so when it slams in it doesn't make so much noise. You will just have to take off the center console cover and look around. I have never had problems with the solenoid, just the shifter postion switches.

overdoseland
10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
[quote=mpumas;6045163]There may be a rubber bumper associated with the solenoied so when it slams in it doesn't make so much noise. You will just have to take off the center console cover and look around. I have never had problems with the solenoid, just the shifter postion switches.[/quote

You might be right on that note. Someone else mentioned that on another forum. Do you think the shifter position switch has anything to do with it? I understand that switch is located on the tranny underneath the car;am I correct? If it is a rubber bumper at fault can I just replace that or do I need to replace the whole solenoid?

mpumas
10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know where it is on the 2001 but on the early 90s, it was located under the center console on the left side. You will just have to look, but chances are it is just a piece of rubber glued on to a metal bracket. bae m

Add your comment to this topic!