Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Intrep Key won't turn

trox
10-02-2009, 05:10 PM
The steering wheel is not locked (still moves past locks), shifter is in PARK and key will not turn. I was told there is a theft device that can lock out the key. I removed the negative battery terminal and the key turned. Hooked the battery back up and tried it twice and all good. Went to get another driver and it locked up again. Took the battery cable off and it still didn't work this time. Kept trying and it finally turned when, as I was putting the cable back on. Drove it home and just worked 2 times OK. Is there a relay that may be hanging up or a switch in the column? If it's a relay, where is it?

trox
10-05-2009, 01:29 PM
OK, I took the column cover off and didn't see any wires going to the lock barrel. If it has anything to do with power, it's in the column. Maybe it was coincidence??? Anyway, while looking at this and removing the cover, I turned the steering wheel 180 degrees around and the wheel locked. I tryed the key again pulling the tension of the locked wheel off, (like you do) and the switch turns better than ever now. Before when it worked, it had a click or stuck spot in it. Now it's very smooth. I'm guessing the steering lock was close to being engaged but the wheel was no where close to the lock position. Getting to the lock position reset the key lock??? I thought the wheel was not locking cuz I could turn the wheel over 1/4 turn without it locking. I don't drive this car, it's my daughters.

reb9201
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
OK, I took the column cover off and didn't see any wires going to the lock barrel. If it has anything to do with power, it's in the column. Maybe it was coincidence??? Anyway, while looking at this and removing the cover, I turned the steering wheel 180 degrees around and the wheel locked. I tryed the key again pulling the tension of the locked wheel off, (like you do) and the switch turns better than ever now. Before when it worked, it had a click or stuck spot in it. Now it's very smooth. I'm guessing the steering lock was close to being engaged but the wheel was no where close to the lock position. Getting to the lock position reset the key lock??? I thought the wheel was not locking cuz I could turn the wheel over 1/4 turn without it locking. I don't drive this car, it's my daughters.

I dont have a 94 and not quite sure about it, I ahve a 97 Intrepid. I know there was a recall for the 97 Intrepid for the Park/Shifter Interlock as I have a automatic shift lever on the floor. The parts in the shifter get bad and then the Park Interlock starts giving problems...like telling the ignition switch the gear shifter ISNT in PARK...hence the key wouldnt come out of the ignition. Once I took it in and they fixed the Park/Interlock mechanism in the shifter...and when I put it in PARK now...it clicks when it finds PARK and I can then remove the key... I think there is a small solenoid inside the key cylinder that gets that signal from the gear shifter saying its in PARK so it will release the key. Also, I've had a couple ignition key cylinders go bad on me and had to be replaced...symptoms were similar...hard to turn, wouldnt come out, sometimes wouldnt go all the way in!

Not sure if the 94's had a recall on that or not... just a thought! :wink: I got mine fixed free...and I only bought this car about 3 months ago! It is a safety feature and HAS to be fixed by the dealer especially if there was a recall on it. Call your local dealer and give them your VIN # and they can tell you if there is or not!

Add your comment to this topic!