'99 4runner Brakes

99toyrun
10-02-2009, 03:15 PM
I think it is time to change my brakes on 99 4runner 4X4 Sr5.
Would anyone recommend a good set of discs other than the dealers type?The original ones are warped!

My hand brake is also not working - the spring units at the rear wheels are rusted and jammed (The dealer wants 250 for it) - do I need to buy new springs? or I should try to unlock them by using some bolt loosener?

Also - my power door works for all the doors except the drivers door. Could it be an electrical problem? Or it is a matter of greasing up the lock mechanism? The only way to lock the front door is by manually pressing the lock.
Thx

jdmccright
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
If the current discs are thick enough, they may be machined or "turned" on a lathe to make then flat again. If you bring them to any repair shop, they can tell you if there is enough thickness left. Sometimes the minimum thickness is cast into the disc which you can check with a caliper micrometer.

I can't recommend a particular brand per se, but I'd at least go with one that has a good warranty, typically 2 years.

If you can't get the rear drum off, there is a slot on the inside of the drum that you can fish a pair of screwdrivers through...one to push away the adjustment lever and the other to turn the adjustment head (looks like a toothed cog) to relax the brakes. The slot could be filled by a rubber plug but may be missing and probably the reason for all the rust. If they are stuck, then try a good shot of rust penetrant on that bolt inside and use a big screwdriver to pry it loose.

You'll likely need to replace all the brake hardware in both rear drums...not an easy or quick prospect for the novice and some special tools are needed. $250 for this job is a decent price for the labor involved in removing rusted drums and installing new hardware. Make sure they put new plugs intot he drum back to seal up those access holes.

Finally, for the driver's door, it may be either the power door mechanism itself or the wire to it has broken. If the door lock flinches or moves some, it's probably the mechanism. If nothing, then check the wires in the door harness for breaks due to fatigue. This is also common for causing power window failures since the driver's door is used so often.

Hope this helps!

Brian R.
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I just replaced the brakes on my 2000 4Runner. Everything was fine until I found out the dealer gave me the wrong pads. Their database had the wrong part number for my VIN. They had to match the originals with all the boxes in their stock until they found a match.

I was not happy. It is hard to find transportation when your brakes are apart.

Replaced the rotors also. My brakes were grabbing when hot and I didn't want to take the chance that a machining would not fix the problem. I have heard that sometimes, the apparent warp is due to a spot on the disc that has overheated. Since mine didn't feel warped all the time or when cold, I wasn't sure that turning the rotor would solve this type of uneven braking. Bought Toyota rotors. I think this could happen to any brand of rotors. (At least I got the right part number for the rotors.)

jdmccright
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I can't remember where I read/heard this tip, but it was suggested that if you have to make a quick stop do so but then afterwards let the car creep slightly forward to keep the heated-up pads from sitting on the same spot of the rotor. This helps the rotors and pads cool more evenly while you are at a stand-still.

I've had my Vibe's rotors turned recently and implemented this technique. So far I have not had any warpage issues on any of my vehicles except the Envoy which the wife drives...need to learn her still.

Brian R.
10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Although I generally practice the "creep forward after a hard stop" technique, I still had a problem with the rotors. I think it is possible that the problem results from the age of the rotors. This is the first vehicle I've owned which went 105k miles without replacing the brakes. I only replaced the pads because the rotors needed changing. The brake pads still had half their thickness.

All the other vehicles I have owned need brakes in the 40k -60k miles range.

99toyrun
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys - I think i will get the parts from Toyota as I always do.

Add your comment to this topic!