heads up display problems

valente
10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
before i ask for youre help,i whant to thank you guys for letting me be part of this great site.now for my question,i have a 2005 "Grand PrixGTP Supercharged"and the heads up display stopped working.i checked the fuses inside the car,they are all good.any ideas peoples,thanks again

tblake
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the great comments and welcome.

I know there were issues with the older model (97-03) HID's and yours could have the same issue.

Check these out.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=216242&highlight=HUD+solder

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=953310&highlight=HUD+solder

valente
10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Thank you for the great comments and welcome.

I know there were issues with the older model (97-03) HID's and yours could have the same issue.

Check these out.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=216242&highlight=HUD+solder

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=953310&highlight=HUD+solder
thanks tblake,i took a look at the threads and one says he can hear his motor running and the other says his display is dimmed.mine does nothing,i cant hear the motor or see anything.i will keep on searching and reading.thank you for youre help

tblake
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Hmmmm,

I will see if I can find you a wiring diagram for your year.

valente
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
thank you for youre help

valente
10-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a nother problem.i dont know if i should of started another post,but i think i should get this fix before anything else.here is my other problem.a few days ago i noticed that i wasnt getting any heat when i turned the heat on,it blows air but its not hot its cold.i replaced the thermostat but that didnt fix it.someone told me it could be the heat sensor,so i bought one ,my question is can someone help me find where it is.i was looking at the top of the motor and i saw one just underneath the plastic cover that sits on top of the motor.i appreciate if you guys can help me out here,cause its getting cold here in Minnesota.thank you

tblake
10-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Ahhh, MN. Nice.

Do you have the digital climate controll unit? I'm assuming so since it is an 05.

What does the temp quage read when the car has been warmed up? When its in normal operating temp, feel the upper and lower radiator hoses and compare them to each other. Then do the same for the heater core hoses going into your firewall. Both heater core hoses should be about the same temperature. Same for the upper and lower radiator hoses. Let us know if one is a lot cooler than the other.

tblake
10-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Otherwise, Bob, is the 04+ climate controll unit capable of self diagnosis like the older 97-03 units?

valente
10-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Ahhh, MN. Nice.

Do you have the digital climate controll unit? I'm assuming so since it is an 05. yes,and its set at 90,

What does the temp quage read when the car has been warmed up? When its in normal operating temp, feel the upper and lower radiator hoses and compare them to each other. Then do the same for the heater core hoses going into your firewall. Both heater core hoses should be about the same temperature. Same for the upper and lower radiator hoses. Let us know if one is a lot cooler than the other.
the temp gauge its just below the middle mark,and about the heater core hoses,they feel almost the same temp,excep for the top one its just alittle hotter than the other one.i will let you know about the radiator hoses when i come back,have to take the wife out so i can watch the game on monday night.thanks again,i hope its not the heater core

tblake
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Core sounds good to me. If it were plugged, one hose would be hot and the other would be cool.

I'm thinking it might be the interiror temp sensor. I have no idea where its located or how to change it. Never had to do one.

doctorhrdware
10-05-2009, 12:16 AM
On the HID module I would pull it and check it for cold solder joints. That can cause the failure of the module, especially if the gound is bad.

valente
10-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Core sounds good to me. If it were plugged, one hose would be hot and the other would be cool.

I'm thinking it might be the interiror temp sensor. I have no idea where its located or how to change it. Never had to do one.
ok,i went to work and i got back home and checked all the hoses and found that the ones from the radiator are both hot,checked the ones going to the heater core and found that the top one its hot and the bottom one its cool.dont know if its because its cold outside or cause i just got back from driving it for about 35 minutes.and does it matter if you check it with the heater on or does it have to be off.but yes,the bottom hose its kool.the one that goes to the heater core.is it hard to change,i only changed one and that was to my 64 malibu and that was about 10 years ago.dont know how hard it is on this newer cars,thank you

tblake
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
How cool are we talking? Like the bottom one is the outside temp and the top one is the engine temp?

I am not sure if the 04+ models have a water door in them or if coolant continuously circulates. I am betting it continually circulates.

If it were my car, I think I would disconnect the radiator hoses from the engine and attempt to flush the radiator core out with maybe a garden hose. Just dont go overboard on the pressure.

valente
10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
when i checked the heater core hoses i was in the garage so the bottom hose felt warm.but after i got back from work i decided to check them again and noticed that the bottom one was cooler than the top and thats when i was outside,not warm or cold but in beetwen.so you think its the heater core and not the heat nsensor,if its the heater core I checked for the price on one and its about 48 bucks.thanks again

BNaylor
10-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Heater core issue. We had some '04 and up owners with a similar issue. Check out the old threads in history.

On the HUD issue I am assuming your HUD control is on the center console like my '08 GXP?

valente
10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Heater core issue. We had some '04 and up owners with a similar issue. Check out the old threads in history.

On the HUD issue I am assuming your HUD control is on the center console like my '08 GXP?
thank you,i will search on old threads.

and on the HUD.yes it is

valente
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
thank you,i will search on old threads.

and on the HUD.yes it is
ive been reading a few threads and i found this one.should i try doing this

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=962988&highlight=heater+core

valente
10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
How cool are we talking? Like the bottom one is the outside temp and the top one is the engine temp?

I am not sure if the 04+ models have a water door in them or if coolant continuously circulates. I am betting it continually circulates.

If it were my car, I think I would disconnect the radiator hoses from the engine and attempt to flush the radiator core out with maybe a garden hose. Just dont go overboard on the pressure.
ok,i took the hoses from the engine the ones that go to the heater core and when i did that,i noticed that when i pulled the first hose,the top one,there was like a orange looking paste around where the hoseconnects to "rust".i did not see any on the other one,after i did that i took the water hose and didnt know wich one to do first so i did the top one.there was a lot of rust coming out of the heater core.i didnt know if i hade to do both so i did.another thing i didnt know how long to leave the water running on each one so i left it running for about 3 minutes each.i did not start the car right away cause of the water that spilled on motor,but i will let you guys know tomorrow if it worked.thanks again for youre help:)

tblake
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
So you did a flush of the heater core? Sounds like a good idea.

If you have heat now, it might be a good idea to flush the whole cooling system out and fill it back up with the proper mixture of dexcool compatible anti-freeze.

valente
10-08-2009, 06:56 AM
So you did a flush of the heater core? Sounds like a good idea.

If you have heat now, it might be a good idea to flush the whole cooling system out and fill it back up with the proper mixture of dexcool compatible anti-freeze.
yes,i do have heat now.thanks for youre suggestion.and about flushing the whole system,i was going to do that but i didnt know if you meant the radiator or the heater core.so i did the heater core only.im going to flush the whole system this weekend,im just glad i got heat now.i hope you guys can still help me out on the heads up display.whant to thank you again for youre help

BNaylor
10-08-2009, 07:35 PM
i hope you guys can still help me out on the heads up display.whant to thank you again for your help

Troubleshooting is similar to '97-'03 on the '04 and up models with HUD. Even though the HUD fuse looks good check the fuse socket for 12 volts at ignition to ON. Then input into the HUD control switch, output and then to the input at the HUD circuit board. You'll probably need FSM wiring diagrams. Also, will require some taking apart to get at.

I have a small issue with mine. It doesn't like polarized sunglasses. :lol:

valente
10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Troubleshooting is similar to '97-'03 on the '04 and up models with HUD. Even though the HUD fuse looks good check the fuse socket for 12 volts at ignition to ON. Then input into the HUD control switch, output and then to the input at the HUD circuit board. You'll probably need FSM wiring diagrams. Also, will require some taking apart to get at.

I have a small issue with mine. It doesn't like polarized sunglasses. :lol:
sorry for the delay i went out osf town.so i checked the voltage on the fuse box and this what i get 12.3 up and down.ive checked on other posts and this is what ive found
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=953310&highlight=heads+display do you think this whats wrong with mine.most of the ones ive looked at have the same problem.thank you

Add your comment to this topic!