Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual locking hubs

Danielcarrillo1
10-01-2009, 10:10 AM
A couple of days ago I installed SuperWinch manual locking hubs on a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo. The hubs were a breeze to install and operate exceedingly well. I don’t know if I was supposed to change anything about the transfer case. Can someone tell me if I can still use the 4H and 4L shifter the same as with the auto locking hubs? And, should I click the hubs back to 2W drive before using reverse gear? An informative response will be greatly appreciated.

95.5 Rodeo
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I click the hubs into the 4WD position when I think I may need 4WD during the day. You can drive around with the hubs locked in and the transfer case in 2WD, no problem. With the hubs locked in, you can then shift on the fly into 4WD (4H only!) without stopping. To engage 4L, you need to come to a complete stop as usual. An added advantage to manual hubs is you can now use 4H and 4L in reverse without the 4WD disengaging, stock autolocking hubs disengage when in reverse. You don't need to unlock the Superwinch hubs to use reverse. There is nothing you can or should do about the transfer case when using manual hubs. I have positraction on my Rodeo, so I don't need to use 4WD that much in the Winter, usually my hubs are unlocked (2WD) to save on fuel.

Good luck,
Dale

Danielcarrillo1
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I click the hubs into the 4WD position when I think I may need 4WD during the day. You can drive around with the hubs locked in and the transfer case in 2WD, no problem. With the hubs locked in, you can then shift on the fly into 4WD (4H only!) without stopping. To engage 4L, you need to come to a complete stop as usual. An added advantage to manual hubs is you can now use 4H and 4L in reverse without the 4WD disengaging, stock autolocking hubs disengage when in reverse. You don't need to unlock the Superwinch hubs to use reverse. There is nothing you can or should do about the transfer case when using manual hubs. I have positraction on my Rodeo, so I don't need to use 4WD that much in the Winter, usually my hubs are unlocked (2WD) to save on fuel.

Good luck,
Dale
Thanks Dale, this is exactly the information that I needed. Your explaination is complete and very helpful. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!