Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaks after LIM gasket project

vando002
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
So I conquered the LIM gasket job on my 02 Impala LS w/ 290k miles. I got it all back together the other night and as I was filling up the coolant, I noticed it was leaking back out where the heater core hose runs into the drivebelt tensioner assembly. Anyone know where to get the metal bypasses that the heater core hose slides over that slides into the belt tensioner assembly? I broke one of the bolts which caused me to put a smaller bolt/nut connection in after I drilled out the old bolt. Then the other bolt didn't tighten enough, the metal bypass was just wiggling inside the tensioner assembly so I put another bolt/nut connection there. I don't know why it's leaking. Could just be the O-rings.

Also, other leak is coming from the transmission line going to the top of the radiator. I put a brand new radiator in it which has the quick connection for the radiator lines. The line is snapped in place and fully seated. Is there supposed to be a O-ring in there to stop the leaking? I don't know if there was one in there, I didn't look before I put it all together.

To be honest, I'm just glad the car started after I was got it all back together. If anyone has any suggestions about those 2 leaks, I would appreciate it. I can't find those metal bypasses for the heater core hoses anywhere online.

Thanks!

maxwedge
10-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Napa has new by pass elbows and seals. Cannot tell why the line leaks from this location, it should be a flared fitting if I remember correctly, sounds like it is not properly seated.

vando002
10-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Napa has new by pass elbows and seals. Cannot tell why the line leaks from this location, it should be a flared fitting if I remember correctly, sounds like it is not properly seated.

I replaced the plastic coolant elbows that go from the bottom of the tensioner into the engine. I'm talking about the top of the tensioner where the heater core hoses go. The core hoses slide onto a metal piece that bolts to the tensioner. I want to find new ones and would like to know if anyone knows where to look.

The tranny lines are seated completely. Is it possible that the quick connect isn't bolted tightly into the radiator and would need to be tightened? Or is there supposed to be a O-ring inside where the line snaps into place?

maxwedge
10-01-2009, 06:50 PM
As I said should be a flare, if no one comes up with a more definitve answer pull the other line and check the seal method. Tried a Chev dealer or any parts house for the part?

troy1
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes there is an O-ring inside the quick connect fitting.

maxwedge
10-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Troy

intimadatorsquizz
10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
here's a pictures of the heater hose connectors and they're part numbers.
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4550/tensioner.gif (http://img142.imageshack.us/i/tensioner.gif/)

and the GM part number for the trans cooler line quick connectors is 52481097

Add your comment to this topic!