ABS Light

robbyaube
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I have a 2007 with 102k km's, the light comes on at random times. Has anyone experienced this behavior or are there known issues such as with the venture and the wheel connection wire?

Thanks,

Robby

blazes9395
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
If its on at random times, it usually is the front (right or left)wheel sensor connection. Like you said, this is common. You'll have to pull off the wheel and take a close look at the wire from the bearing to the connection.

robbyaube
10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Will definitely take a look at these, had to repair the one on my venture, I am actually surprised that chev wouldn't have caught on to this issue by the time they put out the uplander eh : )

thanks.

spike88
10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Will definitely take a look at these, had to repair the one on my venture, I am actually surprised that chev wouldn't have caught on to this issue by the time they put out the uplander eh : ) thanks.

IMO: Many of our vehicles are designed for non-snow / non-ice conditions. re: 80% of country is warn regions. Thus - less "design improvement" emphasis is applied to the lesser 20% (unless mandated by DOT folks). To me, this is why majority of ABS problems is due to corrosion from ice, snow and winter salt conditions. There's very few ABS problems in vehicles used in that other "less weather abusives" 80% driving regions.

Another "lack of winter design" example is the open cavity at the bottom on its front windshield. Many Uplander/Montana folks complain this open cavity fills with snow. Then, their wipers are either stuck or don't work properly. Yet. Other brands of vehicles with closed cavity front hood system (like Freestar van) have more reliable wiper system. Those better design hoods are much better then open front hood cavity on the newer design Uplander / Montana vans. Guess GM is still "studying" this design improvement area as well... BTW: I read some folks are putting "pool noodles" in this gap - while their vehicle is parked. After a snow fall, they remove this pool noodle and their wiper system works better (or isn't over stressed as much).

Good luck in fixing your vehicle's ABS problem. Hopefully, a proper Code Reader can advise which sensor isn't working properly. re: NO signal or intermitting signal (possibly from corrosion overload).

Good luck!!!

'97ventureowner
10-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Another snow/salt related issue on GMs was the early 1990s Luminas. their 4 wheel disc brake systems were plagued with problems mainly in areas of the country that saw snow and where road salt was used. Southern parts of the country did not experience these issues and the system worked fine.
Another thing that might work to keep snow and ice out of the 'pocket' on these vans is a cover that has magnets embedded within that stick to the hood and fenders. I had one over 10 years ago. Bought it at a local parts store. It resembled a large black trash bag with small magnets stuck between the 2 layers. It did it's job keeping all that snow in that area. The Ventures and similar vans were also plagued with that problem. One would think in the redesign to the Uplander / Montana, something would have been done to rectify this issue.

EDIT: Since it's approaching that winter season again, thought I'd pass along a tip I read recently somewhere to keep ice off your side mirrors and help you start out on time in the mornings. Place a plastic grocery bag over the mirror at night , or just before you know an ice storm is coming. When you're ready to go just slip off the bags and your mirrors are clean and free of ice.

spike88
10-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Another snow/salt related issue .... to keep ice off your side mirrors and help you start out on time in the mornings. Place a plastic grocery bag over the mirror at night , or just before you know an ice storm is coming. When you're ready to go just slip off the bags and your mirrors are clean and free of ice.

Plastic bag (like a plastic garbage bag) and a shoe string to hold it on. What a great idea. I love it. Thanks for sharing this one...

Add your comment to this topic!