Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Struggles to Start

Bob Mayo
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I just bought a 2005 Equinox with 50,000 miles. It seems like the idle is too low when the engine starts but then creeps up to a 'normal' idle speed of about 800 RPM's. Sometimes it feels like it's not going to start. With other cars I've had, the idle usually starts out high and then drops down to normal. I'm afraid when the cold weather comes I am going to have problems. Any ideas?

Ruley73
10-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I just bought a 2005 Equinox with 50,000 miles. It seems like the idle is too low when the engine starts but then creeps up to a 'normal' idle speed of about 800 RPM's. Sometimes it feels like it's not going to start. With other cars I've had, the idle usually starts out high and then drops down to normal. I'm afraid when the cold weather comes I am going to have problems. Any ideas?

I bet your battery is on the way out. Chances are your Equinox was manufactured in late 2004. So that would put your battery right at or close to 5 years old which is about average for most factory GM/Delco batteries. The 2005-2006 Equinox may be different since they use a group 75 battery (which typically has at least a 600 CCA rating), but I know the battery in our Equinox (which is different from 2007+; top post group 47/H5) is fairly small at about 550 CCA considering the overall electrical demands of the vehicle. I would also check your air filter for the hell of it. There is also a cabin air filter that you should probably replace right away if it's never been done before (consult owners manual for that, relatively easy task)

I don't think my OE battery holds a charge very well. As you'll see in a previous thread on here, the DIC (Driver Information Center - another feature added on 2007 models) sometimes reads "12.6V - Battery Voltage Normal" driving down the road with the engine far above idle and no major load other than the engine running & such. And it doesn't just do it for a few seconds, it'll go 30 miles sometimes before it goes back up to ~13.9-14.2V. Once in a while the "Service Stabilitrak" warning comes on when I first turn the key on before starting it. One time I was unable to open the lift gate after a long trip and shutting the engine off. If I start the car again the liftgate opens fine.

I'm pretty convinced it's the battery getting weak (in my case) that's causing all of these symptoms and it's still under warranty. I doubt I'll be able to convince them of that though since the battery & alternator will likely load test fine and there are NO other drivability issues.

Bob Mayo
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey, Thanks for the reply. I guess I did not explain the problem in enough detail. The battery is fine. The engine cranks fine. It seems to crank a little too long before it kicks over. Once it does start it sounds like it may be on the verge of stalling. When I look at the Tachometer I can see that the RPM's are below 500. As the engine continues to run for about the first 3 seconds the idle levels off to about 800-900 RPM's. If I crank the engine while stepping on the gas, the engine starts easier. Once it's running the car runs great. I do not know much about this engine but I will learn.
I guess I will order a shop manual. I will check the air filter also as you suggested.

I'll bet this is a common problem with this engine. I believe it is a 3.4L.

Any Chevy mechanics out there?

I would appreciate your opinion since I will probably never bring it in for service. In 30 years no one else but me has ever repaired any of my vehicles with the exception of tranny rebuilds. Thanks.

3echo9
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
The wifes 2005 with almost 60k miles has been showing the same issues. Some times it takes her 2-3 cranks to start the motor. When the weather warms up...(Ohio)..I'm going to pull a spark plug or two to see what the wear looks like.

Geezz
03-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey, Thanks for the reply. I guess I did not explain the problem in enough detail. The battery is fine. The engine cranks fine. It seems to crank a little too long before it kicks over. Once it does start it sounds like it may be on the verge of stalling. When I look at the Tachometer I can see that the RPM's are below 500. As the engine continues to run for about the first 3 seconds the idle levels off to about 800-900 RPM's. If I crank the engine while stepping on the gas, the engine starts easier. Once it's running the car runs great. I do not know much about this engine but I will learn.
I guess I will order a shop manual. I will check the air filter also as you suggested.

I'll bet this is a common problem with this engine. I believe it is a 3.4L.

Any Chevy mechanics out there?

I would appreciate your opinion since I will probably never bring it in for service. In 30 years no one else but me has ever repaired any of my vehicles with the exception of tranny rebuilds. Thanks.

take it your local shop and get them to do a throttlebody cleaning and PCM reprogram afterwards...

Bob Mayo
04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
I'll try that. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!