Water pump prollem.

Morsetaper
09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Replacing the water pump in a '96 B1500, 5.2L. Got the old pump off fine. Problem is, the upper heater hose connects via a rigid tube. This is not included with the new pump. I'm told by the parts counter guy that I have to remove it and reinstall it on the new pump. How I ask? "WD-40 and don't hurt it 'cause they're tough to find." So I'm soaking it down with penetrating oil in hopes of being able to twist it off tomorrow, but something tells me not to be too hopeful :headshake. Should this fail, what are my other options for removing this bugger? Heat? Or is there something I'm not aware of?
Also, once I get it out, are there any tricks to getting it seated correctly in the new pump?

alloro
09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
This is not included with the new pump. I'm told by the parts counter guy that I have to remove it and reinstall it on the new pump. How I ask? "WD-40 and don't hurt it 'cause they're tough to find."

That's called the heater bypass hose and no it's never included with a new water pump, but it's stocked by just about any auto parts store. In fact anyone worth a damn would've told you to replace it along with the water pump. Get a new one, along with 2 new hose clamps for it. Install the new one using the new hose clamps and a bit of RTV sealant at each end and you won't have to worry about it for 10-15 years.

Here's one:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1071234,parttype,2155

Morsetaper
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
It's not the bypass. I believe it's called the heater return. It's a metal tube, approx. 5/8" O.D. It seems to be baked in there pretty tight. Should I not be able to twist it out, any other ideas for removal? Thanks.

alloro
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Ahhh, you're talking about the water pump inlet tube. In that case, remove the bolt going through the tube's mounting bracket, then do a lot of twisting and yanking. The tube is only held into the water pump by a rubber o-ring. You will want to replace this o-ring with a new one. Lube it up with some Vaseline and it should pop right back in.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1071234,parttype,13635
http://info.rockauto.com/RB/6056399-007.jpg

Morsetaper
09-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Tha'ss the one. Soooo-I just twist, and wriggle, and :swear:, and hope. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

alloro
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Let me know how you make out. It's always interesting to hear the end result.

Morsetaper
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, the twisting, wriggling and :swear: proved to be futile. So I went back to the auto parts store ( same one where I was told "they're hard to find"), and picked up a new one. Had it right on the wall. Rest of the swap-out went about as painlessly as I could hope. Everything is right in the world. Thanks for the help.

Morsetaper
10-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Just one more question for future reference. You recommend the use of Vaseline, but I have always been under the impression that petroleum jelly will attack rubber. I avoided the Vaseline this time, and used paste wax instead-woodworkers trick. Everything slid together fine. But in the future, are my fears of petroleum jelly unfounded?

alloro
10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Had it right on the wall. Rest of the swap-out went about as painlessly as I could hope.

I guess the tube wasn't as hard to come by as he led you to believe. LOL

alloro
10-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I have always been under the impression that petroleum jelly will attack rubber.

are my fears of petroleum jelly unfounded?

Yes your fears are unfounded. I suggest the Vaseline to people instead of grease or oil because the Vaseline breaks down much faster and doesn't hang around.

Morsetaper
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks. One more thing to add to my (very limited) bag-o-tricks.

Add your comment to this topic!