Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

in-dash monitor with other head unit?

whiteracer
04-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if a Kenwood CD/MP3 head unit will fit in the small cubby above the cup holders in my car (98 civic)? I got a in-dash monitor and i don't want to by a cd changer, too much money. Can i keep what i have and play cd's through the unit i have already?

91EF3ZC
04-06-2003, 06:22 PM
yes, you can put a head unit down there. you will need to do some custom work for it tho. depending on what monitor you have, if you are using a seperate unit DVD or playstation 2 , you will need an RF unit for the audio. I don't think your Kenwood has a audio input.

whiteracer
04-06-2003, 07:42 PM
ok i kinda understood that.
Does Circuit City sell a RF unit? I work across the street from them and they do most of my electrical work. I gotta get another amp and sub installed, along with this monitor and two headrest units. I can't physically do some of this stuff and though they don't do custom work, they take care of my needs and are really conveinent (sp?). But yeah, i want to connect my PS2 to it and i also need a way to power it. And i don't want to cut that area so i might just stick my Kenwood unit in the glovebox for now.

whiteracer
04-06-2003, 10:17 PM
ok, hold on. what's a RF unit?

CraniumDesigns
04-07-2003, 03:37 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/tech/MVS5.gif

Basic instructions on a typical layout for a mobile video setup. Should give you an idea of what you need, especially if you want to add more stuff later. That site is also dirt cheap for LCD modules, so check it out.

whiteracer
04-07-2003, 04:00 PM
how can i power my PS2? with a power inverter? do i need a rf unit?

CraniumDesigns
04-07-2003, 04:27 PM
You will need a power inverter. A PS2 or XBOX drains about 72 watts, so a 100-150 will do you fine.

91EF3ZC
04-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by whiteracer
ok, hold on. what's a RF unit?
The RF unit alows you to play sound through your stereo from an external unit. You will tune your radio to 88.3 and turn the RF unit on, then you will only hear that external unit. and you need the inverter for powering the PS2. it takes the 12v DC current and inverts it to 110v AC current. SONY just came out with an inverter for the PS2. It plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Mike

CraniumDesigns
04-07-2003, 07:34 PM
the rf unit is also more commonly called an fm modulator.

whiteracer
04-07-2003, 07:41 PM
ok thanks. i understood all that. The monitor i got came with a tv tuner and a fm modulator, am i set to go?

91EF3ZC
04-07-2003, 07:44 PM
ok thanks. i understood all that. The monitor i got came with a tv tuner and a fm modulator, am i set to go?
yup, you should be good.

whiteracer
04-07-2003, 11:29 PM
ok when i went to circuit city to by the power inverter they reminded me not to leave it on cause it will drain the battery. I want to have my underbody neon, 3 sets of 9" interior tubes, two JL subs, and an Eclipse amp all hooked up so my question is can/should i get another battery and put it in the trunk or whatever and how practical of an idea is that?

CraniumDesigns
04-08-2003, 12:10 AM
naw, you don't need an extra battery. neons don't drain much poer and only 2 subs won't do anything. you're fine. i would do what they said an remember to unplug the invertor though, or hard wire it to your 12v when your car is on. that way it would only only be on when the radio was powered. your engine wouldn't have to be on, but the key would have to be turned to the ACC position. so just wire it to your radio's red wire or something, or put it on any fuse that is on when the car is on.

91EF3ZC
04-08-2003, 05:27 AM
you could also get an OPTIMA yellow top battery, to replace the one you have now. it has a big reserve and can be deep cycled.

whiteracer
04-08-2003, 10:40 AM
yeah i've seen a few people with those. what's the deal with those batteries? The battery that's in the car is the original and i have to get it replaced soon. Can i pick one up at Sears or somewhere?

whiteracer
04-08-2003, 02:41 PM
i'm looking on ebay for a battery and they're running for like $140?! is that right? anyways, i went looking at kragen, autozone and sears but nothing.

91EF3ZC
04-08-2003, 06:11 PM
i'm looking on ebay for a battery and they're running for like $140?! is that right? anyways, i went looking at kragen, autozone and sears but nothing.
that is a good price for a yellow top. you can get them at any performance shop. pep boys has them too.

CraniumDesigns
04-08-2003, 06:24 PM
i just wouldn't get one. if your battery conks out on you, THEN get one, not before. just a waste of money.

whiteracer
04-08-2003, 07:13 PM
ok simple question, how often should a battery be replace smarty?

CraniumDesigns
04-08-2003, 07:16 PM
batteries last a long time. as far as how often they SHOULD be replaced. i'm not sure. i would replace it when my car began failing to start on me or run other important parts. that's the only time i do it.

91EF3ZC
04-08-2003, 07:40 PM
changing your battery is preventitive maintinence. you don't wait till you have problems, you do it when you know it should be done. or as soon as you start to see signs of failure. waiting till the battery is dead or just won't start the car, then continually jump starting the car till you change it, is crazy. it will also put a great demand on your alternator. they both work together, so when one starts to fail the other one will suffer and have to work harder. changing your battery now would be a good idea, that way you know when it was changed and you will know when to change it down the road. every 3-5-years depending on you weather conditions and what kind of demand you put on the battery on a daily basis. same goes for the alternator.

whiteracer
04-09-2003, 01:07 AM
see thats what i'm talking about. I'd like to change it before something fails. With that 3-5 year time frame, my cars just about 5 years old and it has the same battery. Uh...duh...time to change it? yes, i think so.

Xo0phoenix0oX
04-14-2003, 01:05 AM
I think that if you've got the money, spend it on the optima. It's a good investment. They're deep cycle and can be recharged many more times than a good ol' diehard from sears. If you're gonna have that kinda drain, it's almost a must IMO.

Add your comment to this topic!