Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Word of caution on Splash guard

dh271
09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Had a weird thing happen today. A power steering hose started leaking. This is the part made of steel that runs on the frame on the right side between the wheel and the block. The top of it had been rubbed down by the plastic splash guard that is just above it. This is the slash guard which protects the pulleys and belt on the right side on the car, just above the frame. The guard apparently has been bumping and grinding away for "years" on the power steering line. The pinhole leak was on the top side of the line where the guard had been laying on and flattened the round line on topside. The guard is now secured off of it.
Thought you might want to check this on your impala since they seem to have so many common screw-ups.

RacerE7773
09-29-2009, 03:00 AM
I'll take a look when we go to my inlaws' house. My '00 cavalier had the lights' connector resting on the transaxle for five or six years and eventually wore/melted through letting in water shorting it out.:frown:

I'd never thought of the same sort of problem on our '03 Impala. :banghead:
Thanks for the notice.

j cAT
10-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Had a weird thing happen today. A power steering hose started leaking. This is the part made of steel that runs on the frame on the right side between the wheel and the block. The top of it had been rubbed down by the plastic splash guard that is just above it. This is the slash guard which protects the pulleys and belt on the right side on the car, just above the frame. The guard apparently has been bumping and grinding away for "years" on the power steering line. The pinhole leak was on the top side of the line where the guard had been laying on and flattened the round line on topside. The guard is now secured off of it.
Thought you might want to check this on your impala since they seem to have so many common screw-ups.

over time in the winter snow belt areas the GM plastic crap is very easily damaged by road slop...these plastic shields need securing with sealants and if necessary additional hardware to lock them in place...brake lines and other hoses/ lines need be clear of all componets that over time may chaffe into them///this would also mean installation of coverings that would shield the lines...

Add your comment to this topic!