Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Computer running checks...

Kgal59
09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
My husband has a 1997 Blazer that we did some work on last weekend (so we had the battery disconnected). I know you have to drive it several times for the computer to run its checks before you can take it in to get smogged (which we also need to do soon).

How many times do you have to drive it after you disconnect the battery before the computer has run all its tests and is ready to be smogged? Also, do you have to drive it a certain minimum distance or time, or get it up to running temp, or can you just start it, drive around the block, and park it? Not sure what all the requirements are and we want to make sure his computer is ready when we take it in. Any info is appreciated!

MT-2500
09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
My husband has a 1997 Blazer that we did some work on last weekend (so we had the battery disconnected). I know you have to drive it several times for the computer to run its checks before you can take it in to get smogged (which we also need to do soon).

How many times do you have to drive it after you disconnect the battery before the computer has run all its tests and is ready to be smogged? Also, do you have to drive it a certain minimum distance or time, or get it up to running temp, or can you just start it, drive around the block, and park it? Not sure what all the requirements are and we want to make sure his computer is ready when we take it in. Any info is appreciated!

No on drive around the block.
Sometimes 200-300 miles driving.
Sometimes 30 minutes to a hr highway driving run 50 and slow up to 35-40 then up to 55-60 MPH slow up some and then speed or vary speeds to help out drive cycle.
Some have a certain drive cycle to speed the process up.
Factory manual or all data may have it in them.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

mike2004tct
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm sure Ca is different than Wi, but all they do here is hook your car/truck up to the ODBII connector. No more dynomometer runs.
They're only looking for codes related to smog stuff here.
If no codes, you pass.

Now, any search of my previous posts will show lots of codes created by my truck.

I have yet to fail a smog test, and I've taken the truck in within 6 miles of clearing the codes with my cheapo ODBII Actron Pocket scanner (<$50.00)

Again, you're in Ca. Your results may vary.

:smooch:

manicmechanix
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Usually if you take it through the side roads in stop and go driving to the freeway and a short trip on the freeway and reach full warm up, it will go through all the emission readiness testing.

ericn1300
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Old Master posted this link awhile back http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Add your comment to this topic!