Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 gmc jimmy alternator?

xowiickedox
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
ok so i have a 98 jimmy. i went in the car to start and there was no power. i hooked up the jumper cables and then i got some chimes but no kick or turn over. so i just pulled the battery and alternator and took both to autozone. battery was bad it supposed to cca at 680 and was doing 480 i believe puishing 14. and alt just failed the test. when i replace the alter everything should be fine? but couldnt there be a problem with the starter since there was no crank noise. or the starter had no power since the alt and batt were drained ?

getndrty
09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
ok so i have a 98 jimmy. i went in the car to start and there was no power. i hooked up the jumper cables and then i got some chimes but no kick or turn over. so i just pulled the battery and alternator and took both to autozone. battery was bad it supposed to cca at 680 and was doing 480 i believe puishing 14. and alt just failed the test. when i replace the alter everything should be fine? but couldnt there be a problem with the starter since there was no crank noise. or the starter had no power since the alt and batt were drained ?

Sure the starter is fine, with a bad battery you would be lucky to get a click out of the starter. With the new battery and alternbator everything should fire right up.

Add your comment to this topic!