Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

maintenance schedule

09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
A few maintenance questions.

I have read many times that platinum sparks plugs are good for 100,000 miles. Besides miles is their also a certain age that spark plugs and spark plug wires should be changed. I have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue with only 48,000 plus miles. The car was manufactured Aug 1999. That makes these parts 10 years old. Should age also determine when theses items are replaced?

I had a transmission fluid change at 18,000 miles Sept. 2006. I was planning to change fluid and filter in the next month or so. I will be using Dextron VI Fluid. Once about three months ago I got some rough up shifting. Now once in a awhile I might get few rough upshifts one or two times. My question is should I also install a shift kit at this time to hopefully take care of this problem.

Thanks for any answers.

10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Any body have any suggestions or answers about my questions. Thanks.

maxwedge
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Do not fool with a shift kit, the problem could be a failing pwm solenoid which was common, when this happens a full trans scan would reveal the problem, an erratic tps is another posssibility, as infrequent as this happens I would let it go for now. As far as the plugs and wires, yes for maintenance purposes you could replace them, probably po performance benefit though. Also the fuel filter. Clean the throttle body while you are at it.

10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Do not fool with a shift kit, the problem could be a failing pwm solenoid which was common, when this happens a full trans scan would reveal the problem, an erratic tps is another posssibility, as infrequent as this happens I would let it go for now. As far as the plugs and wires, yes for maintenance purposes you could replace them, probably po performance benefit though. Also the fuel filter. Clean the throttle body while you are at it.

Maxwedge,

Thanks for your fast answer. As for cleaning the throttle body I assume that I should clean the following, IAC, MAF, IAT AND TPS. I shall do that this weekend. I have a spray can of Prestone Air Intake Cleaner that I have had for maybe 10 plus years. Its states that it cleans computer controlled systems. So I assume this is a okay cleaning product.

I think for know I will pass on the spark plugs and wires as you say "maybe no performance benefit ".

After I do all this cleaning I will drive P/A for awhile and see how the the trans shifts. If anymore problems I will have it scanned by trans man. Also maybe I just might go ahead and change out fluid and filter and use Dextron VI.

Thanks again, 012620.

Add your comment to this topic!