Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

0-60 mph in -.- Seconds?

RAMpage92
09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
One thing I hate... really hate, is hearing people say that one make/model of a vehicle is inherently faster than another in a drag race... based soley on what the two vehicles are instead of what they have. Stats for 0-60 aren't just a car going in a straight line, there are a lot of variables. There are also a lot of ways to improve your speed. For example... properly modified, a super-charged Ford Ranger could probably beat a bland Corvette.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/06/Death-Race-MachineGun.jpg
While I really doubt this particular Ram will win a drag race.... in retrospect I reeaallly doubt anyone would be dumb enough to challenge it in the first place...

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab Rwd with a 5.7L Hemi V8. The best time I ever got was 0-60 mph in 6.9-7.0 seconds. My question is, how fast can your specific Ram get to 60 mph?

Keep in mind, there are a lot of variables in play... What type of engine is being used. How much additional weight, how full (or close-to-empty) the fuel tank is. Whether it's a FWD, RWD, or 4x4. What type and quality tires, and their condition. Whether the engine was just started, or had been warm for half an hour. How hot the tires are (hot tires get better performance, thus the use of burnouts), the quality of the road and whether it is completely flat, the experience of the driver, and even if the tailgate is down and the windows are opened or closed. What type of fuel is it running on... regular, premium... nitrous? What's the psi in the tires? 3-5 psi over what is stamped on the tire will provide better performance. Engine and Exhaust enhancements are another thing. Is the engine equipped with a supercharger, turbocharger... both? Does it have a modified exhaust setup?

People, immature people, watch a turbocharged vehicle beat a regular vehicle and automatically assume that the winning *type* of vehicle is automatically better.

So, I got 6.9-7.0 seconds with a Hemi, no additional weight, a 1/8 full tank, RWD, new but standard (I think) tires that were high quality. An engine that was warmed up and revving smoothly for a while. Tires that rode for about 6 miles and were warm. Brand new asphalt on relatively flat road. I'm no Nascar driver, but I think I did all right. Tailgate was down, and the windows were closed. PSI was a little over what was reccomended. Regular gas, and most unfortunately, it isn't supercharged (but can be for only $5,000!).

How fast can you go? What are your specific conditions?

Chris Stewart
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Since I have to granny shift this NV5600 6 speed, I can be at 60 mph by lunchtime tomorrow...LOL!!!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/CornbreadRed8-09.jpg

RAMpage92
09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Since I have to granny shift this NV5600 6 speed, I can be at 60 mph by lunchtime tomorrow...LOL!!!

LOL, maybe, but look at the brighter side of life... at least it can beat a prius in a drag race....

TN_DODGE
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
My 97 1500 4x4 hardly ever makes it up to 60 mph.

It's what you might call a weekend-warrior mobile and the streets between my house and the Home Depot don't allow for speeds that high. :iceslolan

Typical payload includes me, 20+ ounces of hot coffee, and my itty-bitty 48lb. black lab female. On those lucky Saturday mornings I have either a 40lb. or 60lb. co-pilot that warmly calls me daddy (might have to teach one of them to operate a stopwatch for me this coming weekend :evillol:).

snakecan2
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
My 2005 2500 dodge diesel beat my 2007 nissan altima 3.5 SE V6 on the line.. the mrs was driving the dodge and she smoke me on the line.. but my traction control kicked in and took me back down to a crawl.. she has yet to let up on the fact that our truck can haul serious butt.....
truck is stock other than Quadzilla chip on level 3 boosting (maybe boasting) 100hp. all Amsoil synthetic fluids.
vehicle is geared for towing so that also helps on the low end.. but a great way to leave the drive shaft and other parts at the starting line.

Chris Stewart
11-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Lots of people get surprised by a turned up stinky 'ol Dodge diesel burner.

Add your comment to this topic!