Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95-99 Maxima Battery Cables

Tourok82_12
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
How are things going with the Maxima/Cefiro room?

In my past, I remember driving in the Maxima with the alternator dying out. I remember turning the car off then turning the car back on, then the car was running normal like if nothing happened. When it comes to car work, I try to keep myself on the safe side. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to try to take challenges that would cause disaster on how my car functions. When it comes to changing the battery cables, I notice that people can change the negative battery cable connection without much risk. But if I were to try to keep my car running well, I was wondering how tricky it could be to change the positive battery cable line that isn't factory designed, and if its best to have a mechanic to do the work. Because the cable line connection, seems to be located in the switch/fuse box, and the starter cable seems to have a weird design to it as well. I talked to the dealership and they only said a whole wiring harness would do the job (which is too much money). But I witnessed at the auto parts store, that they seem to carry the positive battery cable, with that second cable next to it.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Todd

Nahkapohjola
09-16-2009, 04:07 AM
... how tricky it could be to change the positive battery cable line that isn't factory designed, and if its best to have a mechanic to do the work. ...

I guess your +terminals are already rotten?

The stealership is right in principal, not in pricing.

If you can cut/strip wiring and use screw terminals to fabricate the accessory wiring, then go and buy the main +cable to starter motor readymade. Just measure its length before shoppin.

Find similar wire (thickness same or greater) for the accessory wirings, and for the doublewires from alternator. Use suitable terminals placed under the batt terminal bolt. Cut old accessory wires on suitable spots, bare the shield, connect with big enough screw terminals. (another way is soldering, has to be well done)

The 12Volts can not kill, but fire hazard potential is real: The end 'product' has to be well shielded, well strapped (no vibration allowed). Use tape plus self vulcanizing rubbertape to make sure no contact with chassis will never happen. The other hazard I can think is: Battery will explode if a steel wrench is dropped on poles.

By luck one may find the wire set from JY; typically theyre already bad.

Also check alt wiring and its multiple connectors; see link pages below.

Add your comment to this topic!