Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intermittant turn signals

gene5118
09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
2004 Chev Impala
Turn signals will quit working as do the hazard lights. Either stop car and shut off or just keep driving and they will start working again. From other answers on here it sounds like the hazard switch. From Chevy dealer its $75 but from gmpartsdirect its only $46 plus shipping. Anyone ever order from here?

HeMi101
09-16-2009, 12:23 PM
No personal experience, but some people I know have had problems with with REALLLY REALLY slow shipping and poor communication.

gene5118
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up HeMi With shipping it was only saving me $15 so I bit the bullit and went to GM. I called in to see if my local dealer had it and he did. When I got there the parts man asked if they told me how much, I said yes and he said "ridiculous. Well said.

gene5118
09-20-2009, 08:54 AM
The new hazard switch solved the problem. I will recap what it was doing to possibly help someone else.
Turn signals and hazards would just stop working.
Pushing sharply on hazard switch would not help.
Stopping car and restarting it would always make them work again.
Ususally happened after car had been driven awhile. (30 minures)
Can be replaced without removing dash.

RacerE7773
09-29-2009, 03:04 AM
The new hazard switch solved the problem. I will recap what it was doing to possibly help someone else.
Turn signals and hazards would just stop working.
Pushing sharply on hazard switch would not help.
Stopping car and restarting it would always make them work again.
Ususally happened after car had been driven awhile. (30 minures)
Can be replaced without removing dash.
How so? I'm all for not tearing apart the dashboard.:screwy: Thanks.

gene5118
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Removing hazard switch on 2004 Impala
1.Gently pry off the actual hazard switch button ( two small screwdrivers under it) This actually breaks the button from the switch. Still it could be pressed back on and it would stay.
2. If you look at the new switch you will see 2 small plastic nubs at 11 o'clock and 4 o'clock. These nubs hold the switch in the dash.
3. I used my swiss army knife with the serrated blade, slide it in at the 4 o'clock nub and gently sawed it off. Use a screwdriver to pry dash opening back so you can see the nubs.
4. Ater 4 o'clock nub was sawed off, insert screwdriver on opposite side of switch and pop it out.
5. There is enough wire to pull out and easily change switches. Do not let wire slip into hole, might be hard to fish out.
6. Hook up new switch and snap back in. Job done. The best advice is to get the new one before starting, after looking at it this will make sense.

laverned
11-02-2009, 10:09 PM
This is a well described article for removing & replacing the hazard warning switch on an 01 Impala.12-21-2006, 11:18 PMHello, I know this is an older post but I just had this same problem with my turn signals working on and off. I figured out it was my flasher/Hazard button part because if they stopped working and I slapped the hazards on and jarred the unit then the turn signals would start working again.Also you do not need to remove the dash to change this part. Simple take a flat head screw drive and pry the hazzad button off. This will break the old switch but it will expose the part so you can get it out. Take the same Medium size flat head and slide it next to the switch at the 4 o'clock position, take a needle nose and grab the switch in the middle. By pulling on the switch and wedging the screw driver between the dash and the switch you will be able to release one side of the switch from the dash. Now without letting go of the switch with the needle nose, take the screw driver and wedge it in at the 11 o'clock position. This will release the other side of the switch. Give it a pull and the whole thing will come out of the dash. Disconnect the wires via the plug being careful not to let the wires pull back into the dash and plug in new switch. Then simply slide switch in the opening and it will click into place, good as new!!This is much easier than taking off the entire dash. It took me 20 minutes to figure this all out and do it on my car. If I did it again it wouldn't take me 5 minutes. hope this helps anyone with this problem.As for the part, it is a direct GM part so there are no aftermarkets as for now. I went down to the dealer and bought it for $50 but you can get it cheaper through www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) for $38 including shipping. The GM Part number is #10359031. Okay well Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!