Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How much A/C PAG oil?

blk95lumina
09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Hello.

I have a 95 Lumina 3.1L and will be changing the compressor and drier.

How much PAG oil does my A/C system hold?

I know it takes 2lb. of R134a but not sure about the PAG oil.

Thanks.

maxwedge
09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
The under hood label or the one on the compressor missing? Usually the compressor has the required oil in it if it is a reman, also.

manicmechanix
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
The system usually holds around 8 ounces. But since you are replacing the compressor and accumulator, drain the oil out of the old compressor through the suction and discharge points and through the drain plug and measure the amount and discard it.

Check the new compressor and drain it if it has been filled, it might be dry.

If less than 1 oz was drained from the old compressor, add 2 oz to the new compressor. If more than an 1 oz was drained from the old compressor, add that amount to the new compressor.

Add about 3 oz to the accumulator.

If you had huge leak with a rapid loss of oil and refrigerant you might want to add 2-3 more oz of oil. But if it was a slow leak then you wouldn't have lost this oil so just add the amount above for the compressor and accumulator, so your probably looking at 5-6 oz.

blk95lumina
09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback.
I am using a reman. compressor which contains oil, so I'll be sure to drain as much as I can.

If I recharge the system using R134a w/ an additive, such as Quest's "Sub-Zero Synthetic A/C Booster", which contains an oz. or two of the synthetic booster, should I consider the additive the same as PAG oil?

In other words, should I leave room for the synthetic booster by using an oz. or two less PAG oil?

Thanks.

manicmechanix
09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback.
I am using a reman. compressor which contains oil, so I'll be sure to drain as much as I can.

If I recharge the system using R134a w/ an additive, such as Quest's "Sub-Zero Synthetic A/C Booster", which contains an oz. or two of the synthetic booster, should I consider the additive the same as PAG oil?

In other words, should I leave room for the synthetic booster by using an oz. or two less PAG oil?

Thanks.

No you shouldn't count this additive as referigerant oil unless it is listed as PAG 150. I'm not sure what this synthetic booster additive is, but I would only use R134a that has no other additives, and measure and pour the PAG into the replacement parts.

Add your comment to this topic!