Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

RIP Cooling Fan Wiring

barkboy6
09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Took my car to the shop yesterday and found out the wiring for my cooling fans is melted/burnt! And needs to be replaced. Has anyone has this happen to their car? Expensive fix I bet? Where would I be able to get new wiring?

ronaldk
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
You dont list the year eldo you have. But those wires are heavy ga. For the wires to burn without blowing a fuse I would also suspect a at least partly shorted fan motor. Or a wire chaffed causing part short. I would check with local bone yard to see if you could get fans and enclosures if so equipped with wires intact on fans and as much as they can give you allowing you to splice as far away from fans as possible. This will be cheaper that shop fix. good luck

barkboy6
09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
You dont list the year eldo you have. But those wires are heavy ga. For the wires to burn without blowing a fuse I would also suspect a at least partly shorted fan motor. Or a wire chaffed causing part short. I would check with local bone yard to see if you could get fans and enclosures if so equipped with wires intact on fans and as much as they can give you allowing you to splice as far away from fans as possible. This will be cheaper that shop fix. good luck

I have a 95. And it did blow a fuse (10 amp). Several actually. Each time I put another one in it blew right off. Not sure exactly why they burnt but they are pretty much right on the exhaust manifold so maybe that had something to do with it. The passenger-side fan was straight-wired and it did work, but I wanted to see what the problem really was so I had it taken into a shop. They told me that the engine would probably have to come out just so they could change the wires. Sound like BS or no? Hell if there's an easier way of fixing it I'm all ears.

ronaldk
09-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok sounds like wires hit exhaust that caused short blowing fuse. If you can see those wires and grab you can cut and splice new wires in. I would solder and use heat shrink to do repair, but electricans wire ties to twist and hold wires together wraped with electric tape will work.Pulling eng sounds extreme.Remember if you cut on both sides of damage that wire thats burned is not in the circuit and can stay there forever.So if it goes under eng and you can reroute to fans where they are not in danger, somewhere over the top in eng compartment your good to go. a bone yard may let you unplug the wires from the fans cut back as far as you want for low price. Ask if there are any vehs with eng out. Although they cut wires when taking engs out so thats pot luck on having enough of the harness for your needs. But thats what I would do if wires could not be easily spliced to replace only burned wires using same Gauge wire.

hyarnell1
01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
If you need that harness, I THINK I may have it. Cheap.

Add your comment to this topic!