Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mustang won't turn over

wttur
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Have 98 mustang 3.8L w/ 82,000 miles that will not turn over. Was coming home and car seemed like it was starving for gas, so I pressed the gas pedal and it took off. I changed the fuel filter and it was really plugged and thought this was the problem. Ever since the car tries to start, but will not turn over. Tried shooting starter fluid inside throttle and it ran for a second then died. Do not hear the fuel pump kicking on. I have spark, so it seems like bad fuel pump.After checking battery,alternator, and starter I have gotten to this point. Does anyone know how to jump the fuel pump to see if it comes on? The other question is in the past my anti-theft light would sometimes blink real fast after staring my car, I would have to turn the car off then re-start to get it to stop. What does the anti-theft kill. Does it kill the whole car or just the fuel pump? Any advice would be very helpful.

rhandwor
09-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Try swapping the fuel pump relay. I think a fan relay would work. If it starts buy a new relay. You can run a temporary wire from the battery to the fuel pump. If it runs check for a loose ground wire for the computer system.
Check fuses and if the ignition switch are working properly.

Add your comment to this topic!