Throttle closed switch

ned032002
09-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Been having this issue for a long time now and have had no luck figuring it out. What happens is when I let off the gas and put the clutch in the idle takes over and I get my usual surge issue. But sometimes when I let off the gas the idle sits around 2500 rpms w/ no surge. But when I looked at DSMlink to see what was going on, it appears that the idle switch is sometimes not getting triggered. I thought that my throttle cable was too tight but it turned out to be that it was actually too loose. I tired a different throttle closed switch and that didn't help, I tried a different throttle plate and that didn't work either. Also when the rpms are that high if I just tap the gas the idle drops and it then starts surging as usual. I don't know what else to check to resolve this issue, any help would be appreciated.

SilvrEclipse
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I kinda have the same problem, only my rpms will stay around 1400 or so sometimes. And I would have the just tap the throttle to snap the plate shut. What was happening was my throttle plate wouldn't comepletely shut if I let off the gas easy. But if I tap it is gets closes with more force from the spring and the idle drops.

It hasn't been doing it so much anymore but it use to real bad. I when it did this I could go push the throttle back with my hand so I knew it was sticking. This may not be your problem but it may be worth checking out.

ned032002
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
A month ago, I replaced the seals and fully rebuilt the throttle body in an attempt to fix this issue and the surge issue. Before I put it back in the car, I held it up in the air so I could try and see light through it when the plate was closed and I could see just a little but nothing to worry about. I made sure that the plate wasn't sticking or anything. IS it possible that the switch has a short or something? Also even after a hard pull you would think once you let off the throttle it would snap shut but it doesn't always do it. I'm going to try and just loosen the nut on the throttle plate and see if maybe it is just too tight, I did notice that it tends to do it the worse when it's at running temp...maybe things are swelling from the heat just enough to make it stick open a touch.

SilvrEclipse
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
This is a possibility, next time it does it open the hood and try to close the throttle by hand, if you can push it closed and it idles down its stickin open. I know i could get mine to stick if I just free reved it and slowly let off the gas.

ned032002
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I will try that when I drive it next

Edit: adjusted switch a little bit after it appeared to not be activating properly.

Add your comment to this topic!