Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drop Pan or Flush?

C man
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
So I'm switching over to dexron VI. Did some research on it and it seems to be 2x better than dexron III in every aspect. But if i do a pan drop I'll only exchange 60% ad still have dexron III in the trans. I have 158k o the trans I assume. Did a pan drop last year and replaced it with Max life trans fluid. Shifts smooth by my standards and everyone else who has drivin it. Fluid was brown then and still is due to the mix. I want my trans to last to at least 200k but most H body cars I see at the junkyard seem to end there life between 155k to 178k on average some higher some lower I'm assuming it's because of the trans.

With all the debate on pan drop or diy drans flush what are you guys opinion in my case. ---158k shifts smooth, like butter at full throttle, 60% valvoline max life which I think is semi-synthetic---

HotZ28
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Are you planning to use full synthetic such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline; or are you planning on using a synthetic blend, such as Wally-World SuperTech Dexron V1? Both can qualify as Dexron V1.

Click Here (http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid/100) for some questions and answers regarding Valvoline MaxLife. Pay particular attention to #3 as shown below. Question is, which MaxLife did you use the last time?

3. Does Valvoline make a synthetic ATF?

Yes. Valvoline makes several synthetic ATF's. MaxLife Dexron/Mercon ATF, Mercon V ATF, ATF +4 and Dexron VI are all synthetic.

C man
09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I used the dex III/mercron high mileage "red bottle" maxlife. I had planned on using the walmart brand since it's only $3.77 at walmart at least when I see it on the shelves. Kinda on a budget. I want to see how the dex VI works first and may switch full synthetic next summer. So should I do a pan drop or full flush d.i.y. style.

A little confused from the link. Is Ashland saying that all there maxlife products meet dexron VI specs?

HotZ28
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Since you did a fluid/filter change last year, I would do the same this year. Dexron VI is compatible with Dexron III, so it is no need to do a complete flush. If you plan to change to full synthetic next year anyway, that would be the time to do the flush. Nothing wrong with SuperTech Dexron VI, so save the money for next year. I think the only MaxLife products that meets Dexron VI specs are labeled with that designation.

ZiggyPA
09-12-2009, 05:33 AM
DIY flush? Is there a thread about that on this forum?

C man
09-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Just did the fluid change with dexron VI. Had to go to two different walmarts, got 6qts from one and 1qt from the other. Seems they don't stock much dexronVI in my area.

Anyway, I was surprised at how clean the pan was when I dropped it. It had almost no clutch material and the magnet barley had any metal on it. Will post pics soon. When I did the pan drop last year (20k ago) the bottom of the pan was layered in gray with clutch material. Now it makes me think that the trans fluid may never have been changed, before I did it, or it had been a long time. Seems that the max life is pretty good fluid.

Haven't been able to tell just yet my analysis on the dexron VI in a 4T60E trans. I will post in the future. but during my test drive the trans shifts very smooth when driven under 2k and the 2nd to 3rd shift is better but I need more time to observe.

Will post in the future on this. The dexron/mercron max-life trans fluid in it at first seemed to be good fluid.

C man
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Pic's

Seem like almost no clutch material except for a spec. Makes me confident in the expected trans life considering I do at least one WOT shift everyday.Fluid is dark. The first trans drop I did you couldn't see the trans pan stamp. Maybe I'll make it to 200k

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/dee1538/0912091431-1.jpg

Hardly any metal on the magnet

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/dee1538/0912091430.jpg

I wonder if using the Dexron/Mercron Valvoline trans fluid contributed to this in either case I approve that fluid.:p

Add your comment to this topic!