Low Miles vs. More Options ???

paqman
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, here's the deal, it's minivan purchasing time, and we've pretty much narrowed down our pick to the Toyota Sienna. We'd like to spend around 16K, and for that price I've noticed a couple things. We can find a CE model (no frills) with low miles, (around 20K), or the XLE's (fully loaded) but with much higher mileage (50-70K). We really want alot of the features that come with the XLE. DVD is a must, dual power sliding doors would be nice, and leather would be nice. I guess we could always add that stuff later on, whereas we can't purchase less miles, but really not in the mood to spend the money later on to get that stuff added.

So what would you recommend? Lower miles with no frills, or higher miles with the options we want?

The way I'm looking at it is that if you estimate that you drive 12K miles per year on average, then a 40K difference in miles equates to a 6 to 7 year difference in the life of the vehicle. I really wouldn't be talking about the full life of the vehicle, and thus wouldn't really be asking this question at all if I didn't think that we were going to use this van for a good 10 years and drive it into the ground. But realistically, I can see us doing just that.

Anyway, any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Shpuker
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
but with more miles you get the higher miles issues quicker :P I suggest low miles personaly, though if I was giving you real advice I'd say look for something better than a sienna. but if your set on it low miles is usualy a big win.

P.S. get a CarFax, independent inspection, & an extended warenty on whichever you get. check the oil and stuff too lol. just to be sure the dealer/independent seller didn't over look that

paqman
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
but with more miles you get the higher miles issues quicker :P I suggest low miles personaly, though if I was giving you real advice I'd say look for something better than a sienna. but if your set on it low miles is usualy a big win.

P.S. get a CarFax, independent inspection, & an extended warenty on whichever you get. check the oil and stuff too lol. just to be sure the dealer/independent seller didn't over look that

Good advice, yes, I fully plan on doing my homework buyin whatever vehicle I choose. And I agree, the higher miles vehicles mean that the problems will come sooner. Still stuck between the two choices. I might actually just try to go with the lowest miles I can find with the DVD player installed. The DVD is the only must-have option.

As for getting something "better than a Sienna", what would you suggest? Opinions are all relative, but from what I've read, the Sienna is one of the best options out there.

Shpuker
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Main reason I don't like it is because its a Toyota :P if I was gona give you my advice I'd say get a Dodge Grand Caravan but I don't know minivans very well.

wafrederick
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Avoid an extended warranty,waste of money.Us Fidelis is in big trouble scamming people,a ton of lawsuits against them and some states want to shut them down.I have heard ofe on epaying for one part only.It was a piston that went bad in an engine and this extended warranty service only paid for the piston,customer paid for the rest.You do not want the Honda mini van,transmission problems.My father watched one go through a dealer only car auction and announced the transmisssion was rebuilt at 80,000 miles.The Dodge Grand Caravans hold up very well,the 3.3 and 3.8 engines are hard to kill and run forever

Shpuker
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Where I agree on the dodge being durrible Honda trannys are not known to be bad. And when getting an extended warenty actualy read the contract your signing. Minivans arnt known to hold up very well and have a good amount of little things that go wrong in them and yes I know there's at least 1 example at this one car auction where there was one cat had this happen at x miles

paqman
09-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Ok, thanks for the opinions guys, but nothing you're saying is on topic with the thread. I'm not asking what make of minivan to buy, or about extended warrantee's, or about how to find out if a car I'm looking at is reliable. We're getting a Sienna, and definitely NOT a Caravan. I always do carfax, and I always take the car I'm considering buying to a trusted mechanic for a checkup before buying. I don't need help in purchasing a car. Simply wondering what peoples opinions are on the thread topic. Low Miles vs. More options. Thanks anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!