Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I program a 2000 pontiac montana pk3 key

nimrod
04-05-2003, 06:23 PM
How do I program a 2000 pontiac montana pk3 key

losmorans
08-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Go to a locksmith and not a dealer. My dealer wanted $85 for a additional PK3 key for my 1999 Montana. I saved $50 by purchasing the new blank and having the original "cloned" at the locksmith.

Flatrater
08-24-2003, 06:48 PM
I have a tool box drawer full of aftermarket PK3 keys that failed to start the car,then couln't get them to start till I cleared the codes and sometimes had to relearn the theft system.

You get what you pay for!! The GM dealers do not charge 85 dollars for a key!! The PK 3 keys are around 50 dollars each.

To program your key first use a known master key that works.

1. Start the car
2. Shut off the car remove the key
3. Stick the new key in turn it to the run position
4. Wait till the security light goes out. Might be faster than you can see.
5. remove the key and try starting it with the new key.

Tana
09-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Flatrater..no diss but is it really that simple. I'm new to Montana (2000) and only have one key. Was looking at purchasing another and they told me key was $70 Can and programming another $20.
Was told I couldn't do it myself, need some tool or something.

Flatrater
09-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Yes its that simple!!! I believe that GM even gives you directions in your owners manual on how to do it!!

Tana
09-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Ok sounds good. So I'm thinking that I'll purchase a key blank and have it cut and then program myself. HOpefully this should not cause me any problems....I hope??

My only concern is that a dealer told me that I need to have all the keys to program it properly (that is if I had 3 keys than need them all) or it would not work right. I only have 1 key since I just bought it used and only got one key and 1 remote with it. There may have been another key but I don't have it.

Should this be a concern and therefore I shouldn't try it myself?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan_in_WA
09-15-2003, 06:22 PM
I think you'll need just the keys that you want to work. They should be present when you do the programming thing.

Keep pestering me for those pages. Soccer season is upon me, and I'm pretty scatterbrained right now! :iceslolan

BOOZER
10-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Passkey3 keys are easy to program.
#1= Buy key & have it cut
#2= Insert orig in ign & cycle to run poss, eng off
#3= Remove key
#4= Insert new key & do the same
If you did it correctly it will start & run, if not it will
start, run & shut down in about 10 seconds.
If it does shut down, you did something wrong. Dont
play with it or it will go into lockup & that takes about an hour before it will unlock itself.

SN95GT50
06-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Boozer,

Nice instructions, I just did it on my 2003 Silhouette, worked like a charm.

Thanks,
SN95GT50

navman911
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Have any canadian owners managed to program their new blank with only one key? In the owners manual it says canadians need 2 keys to program. I just ordered a blank of ebay.

Thanks and hopeful

greganddonna
11-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Passkey3 keys are easy to program.
#1= Buy key & have it cut
#2= Insert orig in ign & cycle to run poss, eng off
#3= Remove key
#4= Insert new key & do the same
If you did it correctly it will start & run, if not it will
start, run & shut down in about 10 seconds.
If it does shut down, you did something wrong. Dont
play with it or it will go into lockup & that takes about an hour before it will unlock itself.

Hi
Thanks for this post I tried it and it works great! Before the engine would just start and die and now it doesn't do that but the security light does stay on, is that normal?

Thnaks Greg

internetautomart
08-15-2006, 07:03 PM
ok, I read the above.
What do I do since we lost our only key?
we got a key cut from the dealer, but the car doesn't respond.
we tried the instructions the dealer told us and all we got for it is a dead battery :banghead:

ryanjenna
08-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I did mine with just the one key..worked for me Iam from Ontario

remo07
04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok.. I read how to program the PK3 Key.. One more Question... When the vehicle engine start, the SECURITY indicator, Off ?? or it is permanently ON..??

This question is, because my Car is a Bonneville '02, Start with my Key, but, when I shut it down, it don't restart... and I very worried about that, because nobody can find the problem.

I appreciate all your partial or complete information about the problem...
Best Regards.!

Eddie Reyes. :thumbsup:

ProAc_Fan
04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Have any canadian owners managed to program their new blank with only one key? In the owners manual it says canadians need 2 keys to program. I just ordered a blank of ebay.

Thanks and hopeful

Funny it doesn't say that in my Canadian manual for my 05 Montana. As long as you have one programmed key you can program another one. P3 blanks can be had for $20 USD and you just have them cut at any locksmith ( $2-$3). I know Canadian dealers who will gouge you for $120 CDN for a replacement key.

Mike

rattler02
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
ok, I read the above.
What do I do since we lost our only key?
we got a key cut from the dealer, but the car doesn't respond.
we tried the instructions the dealer told us and all we got for it is a dead battery :banghead:
You have to have at least one key that works in order to be able to "sync /program" the new key. If you do not have a key that works it needs to be done by the dealer ( as far as I have learned ). This prevents anyone from just copying your key and taking the vehicle, you have to have a working key to use to "sync / program" the new key to be able to do it yourself.

Maybe someone else will know more???

Add your comment to this topic!