Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Tahoe rough idle

Mike_C
09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
My 2002 Tahoe (94,000 mi.) feels like it has a dead miss on at least one cylinder when I first start it after it has been sitting in the garage overnight.
The engine smooths out about the the time I back out of the driveway.
It has been getting progressively worse over the past several weeks. Is this likely to be plugs or something else?
Thanks

j cAT
09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
My 2002 Tahoe (94,000 mi.) feels like it has a dead miss on at least one cylinder when I first start it after it has been sitting in the garage overnight.
The engine smooths out about the the time I back out of the driveway.
It has been getting progressively worse over the past several weeks. Is this likely to be plugs or something else?
Thanks

check fuel pressure with a guage..need 53-62 psi..fuel filter lately?

driving with low fuel ??? often..?

wafrederick
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Check for vacuum leaks also and the intake gaskets are huge problems with the 5.3s.Most parts stores stock them due having problems with them.GM needs to realize plastic intake gaskets are a huge mistake and yes the intake gaskets for the 4.8,5.3 and 6.0 engines are made out of plastic.Problems with them are they split sucking in air and run rough

Mike_C
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I took the Tahoe in for a tuneup today and the mechanic replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter. (probably first time any of these have been replaced) (94000 mi).
It is running much better although we lost a half tank of fuel on the way home when the connector popped loose on the new fuel filter. I didn't realize that it went together with a push-on fitting until I crawled under the car to investigate. I saw where it was leaking around the fitting and when I pulled on line it clicked together. It's not leaking now so I assume the mechanic didn't have it seated properly.
Will wait to see if rough idle is gone on cold startup.
Thanks for the input. I will also be watching for potential problems with the intake gaskets.

djmann02
12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I took the Tahoe in for a tuneup today and the mechanic replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter. (probably first time any of these have been replaced) (94000 mi).
It is running much better although we lost a half tank of fuel on the way home when the connector popped loose on the new fuel filter. I didn't realize that it went together with a push-on fitting until I crawled under the car to investigate. I saw where it was leaking around the fitting and when I pulled on line it clicked together. It's not leaking now so I assume the mechanic didn't have it seated properly.
Will wait to see if rough idle is gone on cold startup.
Thanks for the input. I will also be watching for potential problems with the intake gaskets.
Having the same problem with my 02 5.3 L Tahoe. 108k on it. I haven't replaced the plugs, wires, or fuel filter yet. I didn't see a follow up to the cold start idling. How did that turn out after you replaced all of the above on your Tahoe?

Add your comment to this topic!