shift linkage adjustment ????96 tahoe 2wd

mm0142
09-08-2009, 04:54 PM
96 tahoe 2wd 5.7 auto
transmission wont downshift into passing gear
I had the cats tested and they are good to go .
I was told to try adjusting the shift linkage on the trans . I have a haynes manual but it just says taht on 96-97 models its too complex to be put in the manual . please if anyone can tell me what to do i would really appreciate it .

oscales
09-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Have you checked for Vacuum Leaks, you may hear a slight whistling if you have a leak? Also I would check the fluid level in the tranny.

MT-2500
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
96 tahoe 2wd 5.7 auto
transmission wont downshift into passing gear
I had the cats tested and they are good to go .
I was told to try adjusting the shift linkage on the trans . I have a haynes manual but it just says taht on 96-97 models its too complex to be put in the manual . please if anyone can tell me what to do i would really appreciate it .

Check engine and transmission computer with a trans/engine capable scanner.
Check all sensor readings for up to specs and for codes .
Post back any codes?
Does engine have full power.
What kind of testing was doe/run on cats?
What is engine vacuum at idle and at 2K rpm?

Jeremy-WI
09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Adjusting shift linkage only worked on the pre-93 auto trans, the shifting on your tranny is controlled by the PCM. You could have the throttle position sensor tested, it should be tested on the vehicle to see if the voltage range is in spec from closed throttle to wide open throttle. At closed throttle the voltage from the TPS should be 0.2 to 0.9 volts and should be about 4.5 to 4.8 at wide open throttle

Add your comment to this topic!