Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

06 Impala loses power during shift

luvmy02impala
09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello,

My 06 Impala, loses power between (well, it seems between 1st and 2nd gear) when accelerating onto the highway. It is not an aggressive acceleration. If you keep your foot on the gas it will catch up and continue. If you take your foot off the gas, the same result. The car has just shy of 80k miles...

It feels like the car cuts off but does not turn off. There is no clunk or jolt when the car resumes acceleration or shifting to the next gear.

Dealer only got it to occur once, and wants to charge me $135/hour for 4 hours for a tear down to investigate. Then they will call the warranty company.

Does anyone think it is the transmission or something less?

Thanks for all the help.

jonnik
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Has the transmission ever been serviced?

luvmy02impala
09-10-2009, 07:21 AM
No. We never had a reason to have it serviced, it always performed as it should. The dealer wanted to hit me with a 4 hour @ $129 tear down to look for the trouble. Then if nothing found, another 4 hour @ $129 to put back together. So for $1000, they could find nothing. I am not about to take that chance. It happens very intermittent. The mechanic at the dealer only got the trouble to occur once and he was trying to make it occur more often. The dealer said since the isolation is very expensive, we should wait until it gets worse or happens more often because why pay all that money not to find nothing and have to do it again if/when it comes back. The car has a warranty, so I will wait. I just wish I could find out what is going on. A friend suggested that the 2nd gear has teeth missing and that could be why it is not catching to shift. I just dunno.

Thanks.

jonnik
09-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I have seen contaminated fluid/filter cause shifting problems. Try changing the filter and fluid (not a flush) and see if it helps. Fairly cheap and it can't hurt.

intimadatorsquizz
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
how many miles do you have on the car?also did the so called dealer check for codes?it sounds like one of the shift solenoids is acting up.the computer will store codes with out setting the CEL light on.

j cAT
09-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello,

My 06 Impala, loses power between (well, it seems between 1st and 2nd gear) when accelerating onto the highway. It is not an aggressive acceleration. If you keep your foot on the gas it will catch up and continue. If you take your foot off the gas, the same result. The car has just shy of 80k miles...

It feels like the car cuts off but does not turn off. There is no clunk or jolt when the car resumes acceleration or shifting to the next gear.

Dealer only got it to occur once, and wants to charge me $135/hour for 4 hours for a tear down to investigate. Then they will call the warranty company.

Does anyone think it is the transmission or something less?

Thanks for all the help.

when did you replace the fuel filter ???air filter ??? plugs ???

transmission won't cause poor power...since I'm talking about that transmission fluids need replacing every 30-50,ooomi...especially when living in a state with lots of traffic...

luvmy02impala
09-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Car has not had any major repair work. It has 70k miles. The fuel filter was changed about 10 miles ago. Plugs are original, air filter changed about 10k ago.

No transmission work at all. Always was under impression that if it was not causing trouble, it should be left alone. Where is the shift solenoid?

The dealer found old codes, but nothing when they test drove it and the problem occurred once for mechanics. They cleared all old codes and said if it happens again, they can look at codes (for their diagnostic fee of $129/hour).

So far my wife has not had any more issues with the car. Hoping it was just random and will stay away for a while. It happened 2 weeks ago and we are watching the car for any other troubles.

-Tom

intimadatorsquizz
09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Car has not had any major repair work. It has 70k miles. The fuel filter was changed about 10 miles ago. Plugs are original, air filter changed about 10k ago.

No transmission work at all. Always was under impression that if it was not causing trouble, it should be left alone. Where is the shift solenoid?

The dealer found old codes, but nothing when they test drove it and the problem occurred once for mechanics. They cleared all old codes and said if it happens again, they can look at codes (for their diagnostic fee of $129/hour).

So far my wife has not had any more issues with the car. Hoping it was just random and will stay away for a while. It happened 2 weeks ago and we are watching the car for any other troubles.

-Tom

Tom the shift solenoids are inside the transmission on the valve body.if it's fine now then maybe it just had a hiccup keep an eye on it and if it does it again ahve them check for codes.it can store codes with out turning the check engine light on.hopefully it was just a fluke and your fine.

j cAT
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM

-Tom

the transmission filter and fluid must be replaced...
the plugs need replacing at 50,ooomi.

GM has not clearly defined this and other maintenace that is important for continued vehicle life...

If you plan on replacing this vehicle every few years ,,then having the insurance and doing NO maintenance would be the way to go...

let the new owner of your vehicle suffer from no preventive maintenace..

the insurance plan I use is the preventive maintence type of insurance ...since 1967 I've only owned 4 vehicles...I believe I got my full value out of this type of coverage..

Add your comment to this topic!