Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Out of Options

JamieR
09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I've just recently moved across the country back west, have had my first gen 4Runner in storage for a couple years on the east coast. Now that I am in the west I have to do an "out of province" inspection on the vehicle. In the past couple years while in storage I had some work done, fuel guage, pump, filter, brake lines, rotors calipers breaks, tires, etc. Rear door been rebuilt and also just rebuilt the front end with fenders, rust guard the works. However my rear quarters of course are showing typical toyota rust from 20 years of roads and driving.
My mechanic told me that I can have NO rust showing to pass the out of province, which is B.S. for sure, it is fixable for sure but I do not have space, time or equipment to do it since I just moved. I've done too much work on it mechanically to wreck it, it's too far to drive it back and I wouldn't get anything for it due to the age.
Now to my question. What's the deal with me buying a truck here and swapping the VIN numbers?? I realize it's a bit dodgy but any thoughts on options???

jdmccright
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Swapping VINs isn't an option, simply illegal. Please do not suggest such in this forum.

I'd get a second opinion and have them define "no rust"...spot rust? Rust through? Only visible rust? Visible where? Nail this down good and have them show you what needs to be fixed so you're not returning four or five times.

Spot rust can be easily fixed with a grinder/sander, a wire wheel, and some Bondo. Through rust can be fixed with some sheet metal pop riveted into place and/or Bondo. It ain't pretty, but it'll do until you do have the time to properly fix it or replace the qtrs. My old C/K has the same illness.

Those are good trucks mechanically, they just don't age well cosmetically...I hear your pain.

Add your comment to this topic!