Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 civic dx starts then stalls, keeps running only if i give gas

rashidmaroof
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
My 99 civic dx automatic starts up but then stalls, it will keep running if I give it gas but stalls when I take my foot off the gas pedal?

I took that 99 civic to autozone and advanced auto parts and they ran a scan on my check engine light (CODE=P1509) and they both independently said that it is the "idle air control valve". this is the first time that i ever attempted to work on a car myself. so i took out the iac valve and cleaned it with carb. cleaner. After reinstalling it i started my car up a few times and it started up and stayed running. then i drove it around the block and it did not stall when i took my foot off the pedal at low speeds. so i thought the problem was fixed. but when i went to move the car out of the diveway 30 minutes later, the same exact problem came back. the car stalled after being started, and it will keep running if i give it gas. I have also put a can of fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank.

i went ahead and changed the iacv with some directions from autozone emp. and neighbor. but the problem persist. the car will start and then stall, but will keep running if i give gas?

Add your comment to this topic!