Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Chevy Venture misfire cylinder #5

Meck46
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi I have a misfire on cylinder #5 on my 03 Chevy Venture with a 3.4L, I changed the #5 Injector because the shop I took it to said that's what it was. But the same code came back for misfire cylinder #5, would a bad plug or wire cause the same code to come up. Can any one help?

roadrunner2
09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi I have a misfire on cylinder #5 on my 03 Chevy Venture with a 3.4L, I changed the #5 Injector because the shop I took it to said that's what it was. But the same code came back for misfire cylinder #5, would a bad plug or wire cause the same code to come up. Can any one help?

Did the first shop do a scan on the OBD11? What code showed up?

Yes, a bad plug or wire could cause a miss. A faulty coil would too, except these engines have two wires/plugs per coil.

Meck46
09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi they told me the code was P0305, same code I'm getting now, I also changed the coil pack sill no change try the wires and plugs next. Thanks for the reply.

Meck46
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Well plugs and wires are changed, same code comes up (P0305), I took the ignition module into test its good, also the #5 plug was wet with gas when I took it out, what can I try now?

roadrunner2
09-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Well plugs and wires are changed, same code comes up (P0305), I took the ignition module into test its good, also the #5 plug was wet with gas when I took it out, what can I try now?

Well, I'm not sure but obviously there isn't any spark.

So, what I would do is remove the plug but keep it hooked to the wire and test backwards to the ignition. Watch for spark as you test and crank.

Maybe the COIL PACK (for # 5 cyl) is the culprit.

Is this plug you said you changed of the correct heat range?

Years past when I found things going haywire I made sure I used only OEM parts as sometimes aftermarket parts aren't compatible.

There may be a more simple explanation for your problem but I'm not a tech. Sorry.

Meck46
09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi the #5 plug I change with one that looked like it was firing good, also changed the coil. I'm going to do a compression test of all the cylinders see if there is a problem there.

DanFlesch
07-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Hey I the same problem with mine. When I did a compression test on 3 it was 163, Then I tested 5 and it was about 165.

I am going to change the plugs and cables and see what happens.....

I only get the check engine when getting on the freeway and I put my foot in the car.

If I drive easy on the freeway for about 30 to 60 miles (to from work) the light will turn off after turning the key off then on.

Add your comment to this topic!