Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Two questions: Battery light and safe RPM's

TheAbstracted
09-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi all, new here. Just acquired a 2003 Ford Escape a few weeks ago, and have two questions.

When I got the vehicle, I checked everything out and realized the battery would need to be replaced soon. Sure enough, soon after starting to use it regularly, the battery light on the dashboard came on. (I'm sure it's the battery light instead of the radiator light, it has a positive and negative sign on it.) But the weird thing was, it seemed to only happen in the morning (it wouldn't come on if I used it after 3 PM or so) and it would usually go off after driving it for 10 miles or so. Never had any trouble starting it though.

Nevertheless, I bought a new battery for it and replaced it about 5 days ago. But now it seems like the battery light comes on more then ever. Everytime I start it, it comes on immediately without fail. It still goes off after driving for a few miles, but it seems to take longer. Still no problems with starting, but I don't think this is normal... What could be the problem here?

And for question number two, a simple one about safe RPMs. I've got the 3.0L V6 engine, and I was just wondering how high can I let the RPMs go before it's time to shift? I admit I have a bit of a lead foot (I am 16, what do you expect? :wink:) so I've probably gotten it a bit high a few times. I usually hit about 4000 before I let it shift, but sometimes I forget and it's gotten to 5500-6000 before. I'm assuming this really isn't good for the engine, or transmission for that matter, and would like some input on a good limit so I won't damage anything...(further, maybe.)

Thanks for your help!

Airjer_
09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
The battery light on is usually a good indicator of an alternator failing. The battery light does not indicate a bad battery.

Is it an automatic? If so why are you "let it shift" instead of just letting it shift itself when it ready?

TheAbstracted
09-05-2009, 12:24 PM
The battery light on is usually a good indicator of an alternator failing. The battery light does not indicate a bad battery.
Oh, that's not good. I'll have to get that checked out...
Is it an automatic? If so why are you "let it shift" instead of just letting it shift itself when it ready?
Like I said, I have a problem with acceleration. I have to ease off the gas when I feel I've reached a limit with the RPM's, and let it shift gears. Otherwise it would just keep pushing them up and possible do a lot of damage to the engine.

Blue)(Fusion
09-05-2009, 05:01 PM
The computer has a rev limiter which will prevent the RPMs from crossing red line. While you shouldn't see a catastrophic problem as long as you are below this preset limit, you will wear out the engine faster this way. I'm 21 and have a lead foot myself, depending on the situation. Just don't mash down on the gas, leave your foot in one place until you reach your desired speed. The transmission, assuming it is an automatic, will do what it has to at whatever RPMs. If a manual, conservative shifting would probably be about 3000RPMs, and maximum performance shifting about 500RPMs before red line.

knelleken
09-19-2009, 12:13 AM

Yes he is right. you probably need an alternator. to manually check, hook up a multimeter to the positive and negative battery cables when the light is on(engine on) voltage should be over 14volts. if it is closer to 12 volts, its bad.

big repair on that one. you have to take the spindle loose, remove the right hand cv axle and intermedite shaft. you might also need to remove the exhaust piping, and lower the sub frame a few inches inorder to get it out. can't rember exactally, but i know it sucks(for you)

65comet
09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Search for the thread I had started with the title of
02 Escape V6, changed alternator
I described my experience and others commented on what they went through.

mosher41
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Look in your owners manual for the "battery light". make sure it's not the coolant light...fooled me... i went thru the entire charging system and found nothing wrong....the light looks jut like a battery. Mine did the same thing in the morning add some coolant to the tank and i'll bet it goes away

Airjer_
09-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Really?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/airjer/AF%20Stuff/escape.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!