85 4runner

fej68
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Just bought this toy 4runner and the guy told me to change out the 32in super swampers cause they will tear up the clutch. Is this true?

Brian R.
09-04-2009, 08:41 AM
If the gears have been changed to match the tire size, then you are fine. If your speedometer is way off (meaning the gearing hasn't been changed and your gears are way off), then you will be way too high on your gearing and you will be starting off in third gear for all practical purposes. If the gears are stock, change the tires or change the gears.

fej68
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
It does have 4:11 gears and the speedometer has been fixed to the tires. So I'm cool to run these on the road if need be. I understand its better to use the Super Swampers off road instead of on the street.

fourwd1
09-05-2009, 02:07 PM
"the speedometer has been fixed to the tires" How ?

And yes, Swampers are an offroad tire.

fej68
09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah isn't there a way you can sync the speedometer for your bigger tires? That part has been fixed.

jdmccright
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
For the older vehicles, you have to physically change the little speedometer gear at the end of the cable or the sender. Had to do that on my Bobcat when I got nailed by a bear in the air doing 74 mph in a 65-mph zone (actually higher but the trooper was "nice" to not hit me with a careless driving ticket for going over 10 mph)...didn't even know that thing could GO that fast....anyhooo. The speedometer was off and had to be adjusted by changing out that gear. If you stick with the same rolling diameter but change to a paved road tread, no change would be needed.

Newer vehicle's VSSs are adjusted through the OBD port.

fourwd1
09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Correct, you would change the gear in the sending unit, but that's not a common thing for people to do, which is why I inquired. New and correct replacement gears are not readily available either.

4runner Freak
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
you will be starting off in third gear for all practical purposes. If the gears are stock, change the tires or change the gears.

Actually, you are backwards. You will start off slower and never use 5th gear.

Brian R.
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Actually, you are backwards. You will start off slower and never use 5th gear.

We are saying the same thing.

4runner Freak
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
We are saying the same thing.

You could NEVER get going in 3rd without destroying your clutch to do it.:screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!