Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

70 bug drum brake

carl80
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
i dont know much about bugs. i cant get the drum off. my other cars they just pull off. is there a different way to do these. or do i need to try harder

BoatCop
09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
i dont know much about bugs. i cant get the drum off. my other cars they just pull off. is there a different way to do these. or do i need to try harder

You need to remove the bearing retainer nut and bearings on the front axles and loosen/remove the castle nut on the rears.

NOTE: The left front wheel bearing nut is left hand threaded. You must turn the wrench to the RIGHT to loosen and remove it.

The rear axle castle nuts are torqued to around 250 ft/lbs. Use a BIG breaker bar or impact wrench to remove them.

Doug Rodrigues
10-10-2009, 10:59 PM
re: Putting the rear drums back on. If you don't tighten the castle nuts to 250 ft. lbs, or tighter, the drums will hammer out the axle spleens until you don't have any spleens left

If the rear axle nuts aren't torqued to at least 250 ft. lbs., the axle spleens will be hammered out until there aren't any spleens left? Seen that many times.

Add your comment to this topic!