1995 GT - Snow Tires?

Urambo Tauro
08-31-2009, 09:24 PM
I just picked up a 1995 Mustang GT, and this is going to be my daily driver.

It is currently fitted with Pirelli P235/55ZR17 98W M+S PZero Neros, but I'm going to be facing some Michigan snow this winter, so I want to put these away in a couple of months. In their place I want to get some all-season/snow-tires and have them mounted on cheap, plain rims

The manual is telling me:
"For your Mustang GT and Cobra models equipped with 17 in. tires, to achieve the best traction during snow and ice conditions, purchase 245/45ZR17 mud and snow tires."

What makes this the best size? ...and what range is acceptable for this application?

Can I use a smaller diameter rim, and get tires with a wider sidewall?
Should I use a tire with a smaller circumference to allow for ice buildup on the wheelwell?
How about a narrower tread?
And, of course, what choices will keep the price low?

Urambo Tauro
09-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I checked with the dealership, and their parts dept. says 15"s, 16"s, and 17"s may be used.

I can also use a tire that makes up for the difference, so my speedometer will not be affected.

I think I'll look into some 15"s.

RT Jam
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Make sure the small rims fit over your brakes before you buy, mount and balance it.

If it does, the small rim with a taller tire but same overall diameter as your original is the better choice. Throw snows at all four corners and enjoy winter.

Urambo Tauro
01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I checked another tire shop, and they mentioned exectly what you're talking about. It seems the GT model is only supposed to take 16"s at the smallest, due to the hardware.
Unfortunately, I'll not be able to afford it this year, so I'll drive carefully and continue my shopping research for next winter.

Add your comment to this topic!