Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's that box BEFORE the air filter box?

Shrewz92
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Just purchased a 2001 Civic LX. Looking through the engine bay, and identified where all the important things were that I can lightly service. I noticed that the cold-air inlet horn between the batttery & fuse box goes into a HUGE box, which, in turn, feeds the air-filter box. What IS that big ol' box? It's not described in the owners manual, as the air-filter location is. Are there any 'user serviceable' parts in there, or should one leave it alone? I've not been tempted to crack it open, yet, but I'm feeling the urge... :naughty:

thisnametooktolong
09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
muffler

Copytech99
09-02-2009, 06:54 AM
IIRC it has something to do with quieting the noise from the air flow.

Everyone knows the power-house 1.7L ULEV requires a huge amount of air flow.

Shrewz92
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
IIRC it has something to do with quieting the noise from the air flow.

Everyone knows the power-house 1.7L ULEV requires a huge amount of air flow.

where air comes in, dirt follows: how does one clean out that air flow/Muffler-thing? I couldn't get it to pull apart, nor lift out. Is there a bolt below, towards the grill, in the area of the starter, that allows it to be lifted out?

japtech-rb
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
It shud be attached to the air fillter.Just remove the jubiley clip on the inlet manifold shud just come ryt off

Shrewz92
09-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Japtech-rb: Thank you for that direction.

I found the 3 bolts that are exposed (1 at rear, one between valve-cover and 'the box' and one up-front), but I couldn't get the box to move. Is the jubily clip a metal piece, or a plastic, or a rubber clip? I'm not familiar with that piece's look. Will it be exposed on top, side by fire-wall, or underneath?

Add your comment to this topic!