Colorado A/C Compressor not cycling on and off

koolwhizzer
08-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I need help. My 2005 colorado has A/C and i have been noticing that the compressor for the air conditioner is not cycling off and on like all my other cars. This leaves me with the problem of my coil getting frozen and therefore having restrictive air flow in the cab of the truck. I also notice way more that usual condensate coming from the vehicle when the vehicle is parked and shut off. The condensate water runs from the front of the vehicle to six feet past the rear bumper. My question to you is what i should do to fix this problem. Should it cycle off and on? Or is something wrong with a sensor that tells it to shut off and on while running. Please advice??
Al

brcidd
08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Replace the cycling switch on the low side line- you have described evaporator core freeze-up exactly as it happens......something is causing the compressor to run full time and it most likely is the cycling switch-- a low pressure reading on a gage set will confirm.

koolwhizzer
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi and thanks for your advice. Is this vehicles compressor supposed to cycle off and on. I just had a gentleman PM me and said some models do not cycle. This sounds alittle strange to me. Most vehicles cycle. Please let me know but i think i already know the answer. I am not an air conditioning guy but where do i find the cycleing switch you mentioned. Sounds like somewhere for me to start anyway.
Al

koolwhizzer
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi again,
I located the cycling switch on the low pressure side. I unpluged it and it stopped, i plugged it in and it runs. How does this switch come out so i can replace it? Will i lose freon when i change this switch or does it just unscrew and i screw in the new one.
Al

brcidd
09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry- I misled you- your Colorado uses an evap temp sensor to cycle your compressor-- not a pressure switch- that switch you unplugged is probably the 3-wire high side pressure transducer-- not a switch- not your problem here.

Your evap temp sensor is either not reading the proper temperature, because it is bad, or has fallen away from the evap face-- a scan tool will show you the evap sensors exact temperature reading-- and you can watch it as the system runs- and should be cycling off before evap freezes....It takes a "good" TechII to read this-- you will need to find some one with one..

Add your comment to this topic!