Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 Sante Fe Headlights

JLAAPP
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Both headlights went out within 24 hours of each other - and six months ago a fog light went out. On a TWO YEAR OLD car. Other posts may suggest this is possible - but it seems highly unlikely. Does Hyundai have a shady electrical set-up ?

I am skeptical because I also have a Sonata that goes thru about two "long life" headlights per year for the last 4 years. I have a 1990 Pontiac that I've NEVER needed to change a headlamp on.

Any thoughts ?

rodeo02
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Really rough roads perhaps?? Do you go over lots-o major bumps? Also, handling these lamps improperly will cause premature death.

Joel

Bill in VA
12-23-2009, 08:03 PM
If you have daytime running lights (always on) you have found the problem. On my SAAB, the H-4 bulbs would die within days if they were the same brand. Averaged about 9 months until I disabled the DRL. Now they go 2-3 years. (US-spec car)

rodeo02
12-24-2009, 01:48 PM
It may depend on the vehicle. The headlamps in all my DRL equipped vehicles lasted much longer then those on my non DRL vehicles. In theory, an energized lamp filament is stronger (lest apt to separate from shock) than a de-energized one.

Joel

Bill in VA
12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Re-reading my post I meant they die within day of each other, if they were replaced together, not that the life span is days. :grinyes:

You are right since it depends if the DRLs are run at a lower current (but still enough to allow the halogen cycle that redeposits the tungsten back onto the filament to work) than the normal headlights. The 2001 SAABs (cursed GM influence :uhoh:) DRLs run at full power. None of our other vehicles have DRLs, not even the 2005 Mercedes, and I do not like them since I religiously use lights when wipers are on or if close to dusk.

If using Silverstars or equivalent it gives much shorter life. Regular bulbs are less an issue.

Add your comment to this topic!